- Know your audience – To personalize experiences, you need to know your end users.
- Take a people-centered design approach, involve your end users in the design process, get feedback, and test out ideas as you go.
- Keep it simple. Don’t over complicate things for yourself; start off with some simple personalization techniques such as role selectors or using clips to replay names back.
- Guide users with diagnostics, look for adaptive technologies or smart authoring tools that enable you to set up diagnostic experiences. This means that you can serve up specific topics or support resources that match your needs.
- Report back to users, try using adaptive technology to play back action plans and feedback. This can help people reflect on their journey, choices so far, strengths or gaps, etc.
Adaptive learning refers to the online instruction that provides learners with a personalized learning experience by using a data-driven approach to curriculum design. The method builds on customized learning paths deprived from course analytics, assessment data, and feedback from students (Educause, 2017).
5 Tips to personalized and Adaptive eLearning:
Adapted from: The Trend Toward Personalized And Adaptive Learning,
Simon Greany, eLearning Industry, August 31, 2018.
Examples of Adaptive Learning:
Personalized Time Management Toolkit – diagnose time management issues.
Personalized compliance assessment – personalized assessment of your knowledge of cyber security.
Adaptive Learning Resources
- Adaptive Learning: An Innovative Method for Online Teaching and Learning ,
Shelle et al., Journal Of Extension, Volume 56, Number 5, September 2018.
- What is adaptive learning and why is it the future of Education , Impelsys, February, 2018.
- Adaptive learning in the classroom and beyond: ,
Scott N. Romaniuk, Education Technology, April, 2018.
- 3 Benefits of utilizing adaptive learning in your LMS , eThink, January 2018.
- Adaptive Learning at Colorado Tech
- Adaptive Learning at UCF
- Adaptive Learning at Portland State
- Adaptive Learning at Univ Louisiana
- Educause: Adaptive Learning