Respondus Lockdown Browser creates a restricted test-taking environment. The Respondus LockDown Browser does not allow other windows to be opened during the quiz and helps mitigate cheating. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. This is particularly helpful for tests/exams in supervised classrooms or lab environments.
Students can access LockDown Browser by downloading it to their personal computer.
- LockDown Browser can also be downloaded directly from the unique Respondus LockDown Browser URL for Montclair State University
- Students who attempt to take a Canvas quiz which requires LockDown Browser from any other browser will be directed to download LockDown Browser
LockDown Browser integrates with the Canvas Learning Management System. Faculty can create quizzes that can only be accessed using LockDown Browser. For more information about implementing, using, installing, and finding LockDown Browser, please consult the documentation below:
As of November 2018, LockDown Browser is now a default menu item. If you do not see LockDown Browser in your course menu, use the following steps to enable it.
- Navigate to your course in Canvas in the left menu.
- Click Settings.
- Click on the Navigation tab.
- Click on the cog adjacent to LockDown Browser and select +Enable.
- Click Save.
- After you have created your quiz(zes), navigate to LockDown Browser from your course menu.
- Select a dropdown box next to the quiz for which you want to enable LockDown Browser.
- Click Modify Settings from the dropdown.
- Select the radio button for “Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam.”
- Click the Save and Close button – your students will now be required to use Respondus LockDown Browser on your exam.