Update Effective January 1, 2021 Montclair IRB and administration is regularly receiving requests from outside investigators to conduct research on MSU faculty and/or students. Due to this increasing demand, this review process is experiencing longer review times. Currently IRB staff are prioritizing internal studies led by MSU investigators and students.
This guidance addresses only those external investigators who are interested in such research and do not have a Montclair co-investigator.
Investigators who are not affiliated with Montclair but who wish to 1) recruit Montclair students, staff, or faculty for participation in social, behavioral or educational research projects, or 2) request institutional data on students, staff or faculty, must complete the following:
- If applicable, confirm that your request abides by § 99.31(a)(6) of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. See references below.
- Obtain written approval from the immediate Director or supervisor of the Montclair State University internal unit that will be involved in the research. Some examples are:
- if a particular academic department/school will be involved, the Department Chair/Dean should approve;
- if an extramural club or group of students will be involved, the VP for Student Development & Campus Life should approve
- If you require institutional data, the Director of the Office of Institutional Research should approve and provide an estimated delivery date based upon available resources
- Complete the “Request to Engage in Research with Montclair Participants” form, provide documentation that the research has been approved by the IRB at the external investigator’s home institution, and provide all IRB application materials from that approval process to the Compliance Officer. Please submit that form to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Compliance Officer will forward certain requests to the Designated Institutional official who is authorized to grant final approval. A letter will be sent to the investigator once permission has been granted. This procedure constitutes an administrative review, not an IRB review. Note: If the research arrangement involves a contract reviewed and approved by University counsel, a final review by the designated official may not be necessary.
Responsibility for IRB review lies with the researcher’s home institution; however, the Provost or Designated Officials reserve the right to reject or terminate such activities from being conducted with Montclair participants.
Vice Provost for Research
For research targeting specific departments or programs the Designated Official will be the School or College Dean.
For More Information Contact:
Research Compliance Officer
Hila Berger, MPH
Montclair State University Family Education and Rights Privacy Act