Students looking at the skyline.

Transferring Schools

If you will be moving from Montclair State University to another SEVIS-approved school in the U.S. for any reason, you must request that International Admissions and Student Services transfer your SEVIS record so that your new school can in turn issue you an I-20 for attendance there.

Am I Eligible to Transfer?

In order to be eligible to have your F-1 record transferred in SEVIS:

  1. You must be in valid F-1 status.
  2. You must have a letter of admission to another SEVIS-approved school in the U.S.
  3. Your program of study at your new school must begin within five months of your last day of class at Montclair State or at the start of the next available semester/term at your new school, whichever comes sooner.

What to Do

  1. Submit the following to your International Admissions and Immigration Counselor (Designated School Official):
    1. Transfer-Out Request
    2. Your new school’s transfer-in form, if applicable
    3. A copy of your letter of admission letter to the new school
  2. Your ISSS advisor will set a date for your F-1 record to be released to your new school. They will discuss any questions with you before doing so.
  3. On the “release date,” your F-1 record (and the records of any F-2 dependents you have) will be electronically transferred to your new school in SEVIS.
  4. Your new school will instruct you regarding applying for a new I-20.

Setting the Release Date of Your F-1 Record

  • The SEVIS “release date” is the date your F-1 record and the records of any F-2 dependents are electronically transferred to your new school in SEVIS.
  • As of this date, you are no longer considered an F-1 student at Montclair State University, even if you continue to take classes at Montclair State.
  • The release date must be between the end of one semester at Montclair State University and the beginning of a new semester at your new school, but the space between these must be less than five months. You must begin study at your new school at the start of the next required term; you cannot skip a semester without studying.
  • If you completed your program of study at Montclair State, the release date can be no later than 60 days after the program end date on your I-20 or the end date on your post-completion OPT EAD.
  • When your F-1 record is transferred in SEVIS, your off-campus employment authorization (OPT, Severe Economic Hardship Employment, etc.) automatically ends on the transfer release date, so please coordinate accordingly with your new school.

Please Note:

  • Simply taking classes at another school does not transfer your F-1 record unless the SEVIS transfer process described above is also completed.
  • Your SEVIS record should reside at the school at which you study full-time. You do not need to transfer your F-1 record to another school if you will take classes at another school while continuing to study full-time at Montclair State University.