Montclair State University’s Office of International Engagement (OIE) is committed to safeguarding the privacy of personal data provided by individuals who are applicants, students, faculty and visiting scholars. This Privacy Notice outlines the collection, use, and disclosure of information provided to OIE. When information is submitted to the University through OIE, or you use the University’s websites, OIE webpage and other services, you consent to the University’s collection, use, and disclosure of Information and Sensitive Information as described in this Privacy Notice.
Use of Information
For purposes of this Privacy Notice, Sensitive Information is defined as ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, trade union membership, and criminal convictions.
For purposes of this Privacy Notice, Information refers to all other information concerning a natural person that is provided to the University.
The University has entered into agreements with foreign higher education institutions to permit collaboration and create study abroad, faculty exchange, and student exchange programs. In connection with these agreements and programs, OIE is responsible for assisting visiting scholars, faculty and students with J-1, F-1 and H1-B visa applications. Sensitive Information concerning ethnicity may be collected and shared with federal and international authorities to administer visas and other applicable laws. Sensitive Information concerning trade union membership may also be collected and shared for compliance with collective bargaining agreements to which the University is a party. In addition, Sensitive Information concerning race, religion or philosophical beliefs, and sexual orientation that is voluntarily provided during the Admissions process may be shared by Admissions with OIE to identify activities of interest, to administer University polices, and to provide support services. Finally, Sensitive Information concerning a criminal conviction may be collected and shared by OIE with federal and international authorities to comply with applicable laws and University policies.
The University collects Information as necessary to create and support the University’s admission of foreign students and scholars, the hiring of employees from foreign countries, and the University’s study abroad, faculty exchange, and student exchange programs. Information is processed by the University to manage student accounts or payroll, provide academic advising, develop and deliver education programs, track academic progress, provide medical services as needed, and enforce University policies. Information and Sensitive Information may also be used to analyze and improve education programs, and de-identified for regulatory reporting, auditing, accreditation purposes, conducting general demographic and statistical research to improve University programs, and other related University processes and functions. Information may also be shared with other University divisions and departments as necessary to administer and manage a student’s academic progress or an employee’s performance, and to enforce University policies. Finally, Information and Sensitive Information may be shared with third parties who have entered into contracts with the University to perform these functions on behalf of the University, which include an obligation to keep them confidential and safeguard them from unauthorized disclosure.
Third Party Use of Sensitive Information
We may disclose your Sensitive Information and other Information as follows:
- Consent. We may disclose Sensitive Information and other Information if we have your consent to do so.
- Emergency Circumstances. We may share your Information, and Sensitive Information without your consent, when necessary to protect your interests and you are physically or legally incapable of providing consent. We may also share your Sensitive Information when necessary to protect against the spread of disease.
- Employment Necessity. We may share your Information and Sensitive Information when necessary for administering employment or social security benefits in accordance with applicable law or any applicable collective bargaining agreement, subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- Charitable Organizations. We may share your Information with the Montclair State University Foundation and other not-for-profit organizations in connection with charitable giving subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- Public Information. We may share your Information or Sensitive Information if you have manifestly made it public.
- Archiving. We may share your Information and Sensitive Information for archiving purposes in the public interest, historical research, and statistical purposes.
- Performance of a Contract. We may share your Information when necessary to administer a contract you have with the University.
- Service Providers. We use third parties who have entered into a contract with the University to support the administration of University operations and policies. In such cases, we share your Information with such third parties subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- University Affiliated Programs. We may share your Information with parties that are affiliated with the University for the purpose of contacting you about goods, services, charitable giving or experiences that may be of interest to you.
- Required by Law. We may share your Information with third parties to the extent we are required to do so by law, court order, or subpoena, or in the exercise and defense of legal claims in a Court of law.
- De-Identified and Aggregate Information. We may use and disclose Information in de-identified or aggregate form without limitation.
We implement appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect your information when you transmit it to us and when we store it on our information technology systems. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. When you send us information over the Internet, we use industry standard SSL (secure socket layer) encryption. Your password is protected so that only you can access it and view the information that you provide to us through the online applicants’ site. We strongly advise you not to share your password with anyone.
Cookies and Other Information Technology
Retention and Destruction of Your Information
Your information will be retained by the University in accordance with applicable federal laws, and the applicable retention periods in the Record Retention Schedule adopted by the State of New Jersey, Department of the Treasury, Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services – Record Management Services that is applicable to 4 Year Colleges and Universities. Your information will be destroyed upon your request unless destruction is not permitted until after the applicable retention period expires. The manner of destruction shall be appropriate to preserve and ensure the confidentiality of your information given the level of sensitivity, value and criticality to the University.
You have the right to request access to, a copy of, rectification, restriction in the use of, or erasure of your information in accordance with all applicable laws. The erasure of your information shall be subject to the retention periods of applicable federal law and the Record Retention Schedule adopted by the State of New Jersey, Department of the Treasury, Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services – Record Management Services that is applicable to 4 Year Colleges and Universities. You may exercise these rights by accessing the account created in OIE’s information technology systems using your login credentials, or by contacting eugdpr-OIE@montclair.edu.
Information created in the European Union will be transferred out of the European Union to the University. If you feel the University has not complied with applicable foreign laws regulating such information, you have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in the European Union.
Updates to This Policy
We may update or change this policy at any time. Your continued use of the University’s website and third party applications after any such change indicates your acceptance of these changes.