The International Admissions and Student Services staff at Montclair State University are available to assist international students through every stage of the journey from new applicant through to graduation.
If you are still completing a high school or secondary school education, or have completed high school or secondary school and not taken a college or university course, you may apply for admission as an international freshmen student.
Please follow the link below to a guide for applying as an International Freshman:
After you submit the application, you will see instructions for paying the $65 non-refundable application fee on the status page of your application portal. If you are applying to a program with an audition fee (Dance, Music, Music Therapy, Musical Theatre, Theatre), you will also see and be able to pay your audition fee through your status page.
Your official secondary school transcripts need to be evaluated (document evaluation) by any accredited foreign credential evaluation service. If you have completed any college coursework, then a course-by-course evaluation is required. The evaluation needs to be sent by the evaluation service directly to the University. The evaluation must come from an organization affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). A listing of NACES member organizations is available at NACES.
International students whose primary language is not English, must show proof of English Language Proficiency as outlined below. Students must submit one of the following as proof:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Montclair State University’s TOEFL code is 2520.
- Minimum score of 70 (internet-based exam)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Minimum score is 6.0
- Duolingo English Test
- Minimum score of 95
- SAT: minimum score of 480 EBRW (Evidence Based Reading and Writing)
- ACT English: minimum score of 22
Exemptions from English Language Proficiency requirement
The English Language Proficiency requirement can be waived if you meet one of the criteria listed below:
- English is your native language and you are from a country that is exempt from the requirement.
- You will have completed four consecutive years in a high school or university where academic English was the language of instruction for all courses (excluding foreign language courses)
- You have graduated or will graduate from an international high school, or university with U.S. accreditation such as Higher Learning Commission (HLC) or Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
- You have submitted an official SAT/ACT score report that meets the university minimum requirements
- You have satisfactorily completed at least 24 credit hours (not including ESL classes) at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
- You have satisfactorily completed the equivalent of College Composition I and College Composition II with a grade of ‘C’ or above at an accredited college or university in the U.S.
- You have an associate of bachelor’s degree from a college or university in the U.S.
- You have graduated or will graduate from a high school in the U.S. with three consecutive years of continuous enrollment
Complete and upload your Personal Statement/Essay. After submitting your application, you will find the prompt by clicking ‘Apply Online & View Applications’. Click ‘view’ under Supplemental items. This is also where you will be able to upload your essay directly to our system.
If you wish to submit a resume and/or list of extracurricular activities you have participated in for review, you should upload it as one document with your essay.
On the personal statement/essay explain your reasons for seeking admission to Montclair State University, including what you believe are your academic strengths and interests. Be sure to explain any situations that may have had an impact, either positively or negatively on your academic record. Students interested in sending a resume of extracurricular activities, volunteer work, internships, etc., can include it in the same document as their essay.
Submit recommendation letter from a guidance counselor or teacher.
This can be completed on line through your admission application, or the letter can be mailed/faxed to:
International Admissions and Student Services
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Student Center Annex 207
Montclair, NJ 07043
The following documents will be required with the I-20 application:
- Copy of passport biographical page
- Proof of financial support. U.S. Immigration law requires that all international students on F-1 status demonstrate sufficient funds are available for their expenses PRIOR TO the issuance of Form I-20. More information available on the I-20 application
- Affidavit of Support Form completed and signed by Sponsor who will support your expenses
- Copy of sponsor’s bank statement. Statement must be in English and show the exact balance in the account