Internship and Externship Opportunities
The Linguistics and Computer Science faculty are all actively engaged in research. There are always paid and unpaid opportunities to get a hands-on experience.
Montclair State is located 12 miles west of New York City. There are many companies both in New Jersey and New York that search for skills in Natural Language Processing/Computational Linguistics. Our alumni who took courses in CL either had internships or obtained full-time employment at Google, Amazon, Nuance, Merck, Interactions, Red Hat, Acquire Media, Berlitz, ETS, Ethnic Technologies, Veracode, CQ Fluency, Ogilvy Common Health, among others. Many continued for their doctoral studies at Columbia University, Stevens Institute of Technology, CUNY, Washington University, and Penn State University.
While the master’s program is new for fall 2019, we have graduated many students from our Certificate in Computational Linguistics. Some of these alumni also attained their MA in Applied Linguistics while at Montclair State.
- Katsiaryna Aharodnik ’13 (Ph.D. student at CUNY)
- Nina Birden ’19 (Intern at AcquireMedia, Roseland, NJ; currently MS in CS at Montclair State)
- Marco Chang ’13 (Senior Software Engineer, Talent Inc.)
- Tabytha Gil ’16 (Computational Linguist at Ogilvy Common Health, Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ)
- Hope Hood ’18 (Data Analyst, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals)
- Hamza Jazmati ’16 (Graduate program in CS, Columbia University)
- Eric Joyce ’17 (PhD in CS, Stevens Institute of Technology)
- Nathan Michalov ’11 (Solutions Architect at Veracode, Boston, MA)
- Matthew Mulholland ’16 (Research Engineer at Educational Testing Service)
- Emily Olshefski ’16 (Intern at Interactions; currently at Nuance Communications, Seattle, WA)
- Manali Pradhan ’17 (Project Coordinator at CQ Fluency, Hackensack, NJ)
- Manish Puri ’19 (Intern, nVIAsoft Corporation)
- Joanne Quinn ’16 (Researcher/Lead Generation Specialist at Summit Talent Group, Columbia, MD)
- Michael Ramos ’16 (Computational Linguist, Amazon, Boston, MA)
- Michael Reynolds ’10 (Software Engineer, Two Six Labs)
- Vera Senina ’15 (Project Manager at Google NY; currently Ph.D. candidate at Columbia University)
- Liubou Shefarevich ’15 (Project Manager at Berlitz, Princeton, NJ)
- Rachel Silverstein ’11 (Technical Writer, Resource Data Inc., Anchorage, AK)
- Michael Shehata ’19 (Analytic Linguistics Project Manager – Google NY)
- Shadasha Williams ’16 (MSD candidate in Computational Linguistics at Charles University, CZ)
- Aravind Sarma Yeluripati ’13 (IT Developer, HealthNow New York, Inc.)
Information for Employers Seeking Interns
Looking for interns in the area of computational linguistics? Get details on how you can hire our students.