Due to COVID-19, Montclair State University is using social distancing strategies and many events are not going on as planned. But that doesn’t mean you can’t connect with others virtually!
Follow Montclair State Social Media
Not sure where to start? Check out this web page on the official and most popular University social media accounts and connect with us online!
Improve your mental health with a free online program! Check this out for help with worry, depression, managing pain, dealing with anger and improving communication and relationships. This is the time to take care of yourself!
- Fill out your general information. We’ll send you an email with a temporary password. Click the link in the email to login and change your password to set up your account.
- You’re ready to go: Here you will find resources that can help you get through a rough patch in as little as 15 to 30 minutes. Watch the quick video to help you navigate the TAO platform and find your most effective path. From here, you will learn stress management, mindfulness skills, problem-solving and strategies to avoid rumination and to develop more helpful thinking patterns!
Services at CAPS: What’s Available?
Appointments at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) will be conducted via telephone and video conferencing for the time being. If you already have an appointment, please expect a phone call at your appointment time and arrange for privacy so that the conversation remains confidential. For students located out of state, brief phone support and a referral in your local area, if appropriate, will be facilitated. Students contacting CAPS for the first time should call our front desk at 973-655-5211 in order to schedule a brief phone screening. It is essential that you leave a message with your name and phone number. You will be called back promptly during business hours.
In case of emergency, please contact any of the following resources immediately:
- University Police at 973-655-5222. Request to speak with the CAPS on-call clinician.
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline (Free crisis support 24/7): 1-800-273-8255
- Crisis Text Line (Free crisis support 24/7): Text CONNECT to 741741
The CARE Team
The Crisis, Assessment, Response and Education (CARE) Team is a group of University administrators that meets regularly to evaluate concerning behaviors of Montclair State University students. Any community member can submit a report to the CARE Team if they are concerned about the behavior of a student, or if you need help yourself! Reports can be sent directly to a member of the CARE Team, via a CARE Report Form and/or by emailing CARETeam@montclair.edu. We continue to evaluate CARE reports. No matter what, even during a pandemic: We Are Here for You.
Suicide Prevention Help
If you, or someone you know, are in crisis and are thinking about or planning suicide please reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 973-655-5211 during regular University business hours. After hours contact counselor the University Police Department at 973-655-5222. This support is available to you 24/7.