With nearly 18,000 students, 2,000 faculty and staff members, and many visitors each day, Montclair State University’s campus can be a very busy place during the school year. And as anyone who is familiar with the University knows, all those people mean a lot of cars—and a sometimes challenging parking situation.
To help alleviate the situation, the University is currently building a new, 1,500-space parking deck—on Lots 25 and 24B—to accommodate more students, faculty, and staff. Until the new deck is complete, there will be fewer parking spaces available and members of the campus community are encouraged to plan accordingly by becoming familiar with the parking map and considering alternate transportation options for the start of the 2009-2010 academic year.
Parking Update (September 14, 2009)
Because the parking on campus has been more challenging this year with the construction of the new parking deck, we are taking a series of steps to enable employees and students with parking permits to find an available space.
The following initiatives were implemented as of Monday, September 14.
- Return of Lot 40: This ninety-eight (98) space lot will return to its original use - a general lot, available to faculty, staff and commuter parkers who possess a Montclair State parking permit. Lot 40 is located between the Floyd Hall Ice Arena and the Montclair State Softball Stadium, and will be serviced by Route D of the Shuttle Services department. Lot 40 is available from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- LED Signage: There will be three (3) large LED signs on the periphery of campus which will be updated every 60-90 minutes with lot availability information. Planned locations include: Valley Road at the Quinn Road entrance; Clove Road near the Village at Little Falls, and; Quarry Road.
- WMSC Radio Updates: The University's student-run radio station (90.3 FM) has graciously agreed to receive parking space updates from Parking Services every hour, and will share this information with listeners. University community members are encouraged to tune into the radio station as they approach campus.
- Assistance from University Police: University Police officers will be strategically located to assist with keeping traffic moving and to also point motorists to parking lots where spaces are available.
- Rave Lot Availability Updates: Parking lot space availability information will continue to be available via the "My MSU App" (https://www.getrave.com/login/montclair). However, the frequency of the updates will be increased.
Please be assured that we will continue to explore other options to help improve the parking situation, and we will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available. We also continue to encourage the use of alternate transportation options such as the following:
Carpooling with a friend, a fellow student who lives nearby, or a coworker is a great alternative to driving alone. Not only will you have someone to chat with during the drive, you can save money by sharing the cost of gas and parking. Don’t know anyone you can carpool with? No problem. The University’s Web site has an online carpool directory and links to the New Jersey Department of Transportation’s ridesharing information.
Take the Train
The Montclair State campus is located between two train stations on the Montclair-Boonton Line. The Montclair Heights train station, located at the south end of campus, is just a few steps away from the main part of the campus. The Montclair State University train station, located at the northwest end of campus, is a short shuttle bus ride to the main part of campus. A Shuttle Services bus meets every train that stops at the two stations.
Full-time Montclair State University undergraduate students are eligible to purchase a monthly rail, light rail, or bus pass at 25% off of the regular monthly pass price, when they enroll online through NJ Transit’s Quik-Tik program. Please visit the NJ Transit Web site for train and bus schedules, and other information.
Several bus companies run bus routes that come to the campus from surrounding areas and from New York City. NJ Transit has buses from Newark, Paterson, Passaic, and Wayne (as well as connections from private bus lines in surrounding areas) and DeCamp has a bus from New York City.
Shuttle Bus Service
The Montclair State University Shuttle Bus System serves employees, students, and visitors traveling around the campus; Shuttle Service is also provided to students and staff who need to access Montclair State’s off-campus venues such as the La Quinta Inn, 855 Valley Road, and 1515 Broad Street, the new home of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders.
Shuttle service operates 24 hours a day, and seven days a week during the academic year (September-May). The Transportation and Parking Services Web site has detailed shuttle bus information and schedules.
Campus Bicycle Racks
There are twenty-two bike racks on campus at strategic locations to encourage this free and environmentally-friendly transportation option. Bicycle racks are available at:
Village (one at each bldg.) Finley Hall
Calcia Hall Life Hall
Music Building Dickson Hall
Clove Road Apts., between Apt. 100 and 200 Morehead Hall
Clove Road Apts., between Apt. 200 and 300 College Hall
Dioguardi Field Freeman Hall
Panzer Gym Student Center
Blanton Hall Webster Hall
Russ Hall University Hall
Bohn Hall Red Hawk Deck