Men's Soccer Knocked off by Ohio Wesleyan, 4-0 in NCAA Championship Semifinal

Sophomore Dan Mendoza battles for the ball against Ohio Wesleyan University during the NCAA national semifinal.

Box Score

San Antonio, TX (12/2/11) – Montclair State’s magical run to its first NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer Championship Final Four ended on Friday evening as the Red Hawks fell to Ohio Wesleyan, 4-0 at Blossom Soccer Stadium in the national semifinal.

Senior goalkeeper Anthony Rogic (Boonton, NJ / Morris Catholic) stopped five shots and made a variety of acrobatic stops to keep the Red Hawks in the game early, however the No. 6 Battling Bishops proved to be too much as the finest season in Montclair State history finished at 19-4-3.

Ohio Wesleyan threatened early, with freshman midfielder Colton Bloecher (Lewis Center/Olentangy Orange) sending a header off a corner kick just over the crossbar in the second minute, and the Bishops assembling a 4-on-2 run in the third minute that Montclair keeper Anthony Rogic broke up with a good play in the box.

Rogic made another good play in the 13th minute, stopping a shot from the left side by Wall. The rebound continued across the box to Stegner, whose follow shot from the right side was high.

Stegner had more success on his next chance, though. Sophomore midfielder Matt Shadoan (Dublin/Scioto) fired a shot that Rogic stopped. Senior forward Matt Bonfini (Dublin/Coffman) kept the play alive, and Stegner came in from the right side to jump on the loose ball and put it into the back of the Red Hawks' net.

Rogic kept Montclair State in the game, making a fine save after a give-and-go by Wall and Bloecher.

The Bishops took a 2-0 lead in the 31st minute when Wall picked off a Red Hawk clearing attempt, and shortly thereafter increased the lead to 3-0 when sophomore midfielder Paolo Bucci (Dublin/Bishop Watterson) sent the ball to Bryant, who sent a 20-yard rocket into the right side of the net.

Meanwhile, Montclair State managed just three shots in the opening period with one on goal. Dan Mendoza (Hackensack, NJ / Hackensack) was denied by junior Paul Hendricks (Columbus/Worthington Kilbourne) shortly after the first Ohio Wesleyan goal. Kevin Zalewski (Parsippany, NJ / Parsippany) sent a shot high in the 26th minute and Kevin Brown (Wayne, NJ / Wayne Valley) put one wide of the net a minute later.

Early in the second half, Bonfini made it 4-0 by picking off a loose ball in the Red Hawk end and putting into the back of the unprotected goal.

Hendricks kept the Red Hawks off the scoreboard as he made three stops – all against Mendoza, including two in a one-minute span with just under 20 minutes remaining.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot Montclair State, 17-7. Hendricks and sophomore Zach Khalifa (Glen Echo, Md./Walt Whitman) combined for four saves in the Bishop goal.