Application and Admission Procedure (Non-ISPP Pathway)
Please read carefully. The Montclair State University Dietetic Internship application process is not the same online process as the rest of the University. Refer to “Dietetic Intern Match: Students,” which gives specific information for the application, computer matching, and appointment procedures. Other important information, including suggestions for improving your chances of getting an internship, can be found at Dietetic Intern Match. There are three components to the application process:
- Completion of the online application through DICAS (Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System)
- Registration with D&D Digital for the computer match
- Application and fee payable to the Montclair State University Dietetic Internship.
Important Dates for Spring 2022 Match:
- DICAS Application System Deadline: February 15, 2022 (Midnight)
- D&D Digital Registration Deadline: February 15, 2022 (Midnight)
- Montclair State University Application Fee Payment Deadline: postmarked by February 15, 2022
- MSU Interview Scheduling Timeframe (For Qualified Applicants): February 15 – March 22, 2022
- Matching Notification Day: April 3, 2022
- Appointment Day: April 4, 2022 before 5:00 pm
Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS)
Applications for the Dietetic Internship should be submitted to DICAS (Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System). The Montclair State University Dietetic Internship participates in the Spring computer match. Follow the directions listed for the online application. The following information will be required:
- Personal statement in 1,000 words or less. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection decision?
- Listing of GPA and DPD courses; DPD course list form needs to be uploaded.
- Three letters of recommendation, including an instructor and a work supervisor; Applicants must include the name and e-mail address for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form, which will be completed online.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to DICAS.
- Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree or DPD Verification Statement to be sent to DICAS by your DPD Director; you will need to provide the e-mail address.
- Listing of paid and volunteer work experience.
- Honors and awards.
- Phone number and address where applicant can be reached, if necessary, on Appointment Day.
The online application must be completed for the Montclair State Dietetic Internship by the date and time stated on the Dietetic Internship Match website. The fee to use DICAS is $50 for the first application submitted, and $25 for each additional application (subject to change).
D & D Digital Registration
Applicants must also register online for computer matching at the D&D website and select dietetic internship priority choices by the date and time listed. There is a $55.00 computer matching fee (subject to change). Applicants must register with D&D Digital to be considered for the internship.
Montclair State University Application
An application fee of $65 must be received by the Montclair State University Dietetic Internship.
The check or money order should be payable to the Montclair State University Dietetic Internship, include the name of the applicant on the check, and send to:
Montclair State University
University Hall, Room 4019
Montclair, NJ 07043
Total fees for application to the Montclair State Dietetic Internship as of September 20, 2020 (subject to change) are:
- $50 to DICAS
- $55 to D & D Digital
- $65 to the Montclair State University Dietetic Internship (nonrefundable)
A total Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) GPA of 3.2 is required. Complete applications will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee for personal statement, grades, paid and volunteer experience, honors and awards, and recommendations. An interview and writing sample will be required for final ranking. Qualifying applicants will be contacted by telephone to schedule an interview. Applicants are encouraged to bring a sampling of graded, written assignments from their Didactic Program in Dietetics to their scheduled interviews.
The final ranking will be submitted to D&D Digital for the computer match.
Applicants who match with Montclair State University must contact the DI program at 973-655-4375 or firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Appointment Day to confirm acceptance of a match. If a message needs to be left, please provide a phone number where you may be reached to confirm your acceptance. After 5:00 p.m. on appointment day, the internship is under no obligation to hold the opening for the matched applicant.
If all positions are not filled, the DI Director may appoint interns on an individual basis, adhering to Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics requirements.
Accepted students will need to send an original Verification Statement showing completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics, original transcripts from all schools attended, and transcripts verifying the completion of a bachelor’s degree to the Dietetic Internship at Montclair State University before beginning the program.
In addition, all undergraduate coursework, summer assignments, health examination with immune titers demonstrating immunity, negative urine drug screen, and evidence of an acceptable criminal background check must be completed and acceptance to the Montclair State University Graduate School must be verified before beginning the internship. Students whose criminal background checks are unacceptable or show activity may not be able to continue in the internship. An orientation day for incoming interns will be scheduled in early June.