Active Directory Deployment Initiative
- What is the Active Directory (AD) Deployment Initiative?
- What AD Services are Available?
- How do I Access my AD File Shares (Faculty/Staff)?
- How do I Access my AD File Shares (Student)?
- How do I Install a Shared Printer?
- AD Deployment Initiative FAQ
The Information Technology Division (IT) is in the process of migrating the current Novell Netdrive file sharing and iPrint printing services to a new Microsoft Active Directory (AD) based solution. Similar in features and function to Netdrive/NetStorage, the new environment provides:
- A secure file sharing service for individual NetID users and departments.
- A centrally managed printing service that allows users to select shared print devices from a directory.
- A replacement to the web based NetStorage interface providing secure remote file share access via an industry standard WebDAV protocol. WebDAV allows users to mount server shares directly, providing a similar file share experience between on campus and remote use.
- A web page publishing directory for all NetID users. (MSUWEB)
- An increase in disk storage quota for user file shares.
Private (Home) Directory
- Your private (home) directory is space allocated on the Active Directory server and is assigned to each student, faculty and staff member.
- It is referred to as the (N:) drive.
- Only you have access to your private directory.
- Faculty and staff have 3 GB of space while students have 500 MB of space.
Public (MSUWEB) Directory
- MSUWEB is personal web space service provided by IT. It allows faculty, staff and students to publish their web pages.
- Pages published on MSUWEB can be viewed on-campus as well as off-campus. It is referred to as the (W:) drive.
- Storage space is combined with the private (home) directory (3 GB).
- If you are faculty or staff, you may allocate more space to your public directory.
- Caution: You should not place files in your web publishing file share unless you intend to make them publicly available via the Internet. Always place non-web files in either your private (home) file share or departmental file share. NEVER place files containing sensitive information in your web publishing file share for any reason.
- Learn how to publish and view your MSUWEB files.
Department (Groupshare) Directory
- Every department can request to have a department (groupshare) directory setup for the purpose of file sharing with other members of your department
- It is referred to as the (O:) drive
- Groupshares have 150 GB of space.
- Each group will have an assigned Custodian who will be in charge of file/folder permissions.
- Learn more about custodian privelages.