On behalf of the Center for Leadership and Engagement, we would like to congratulate and welcome you to Montclair State University! We’re hard at work planning an exciting On-Campus and Virtual Orientation experience for our new Red Hawks!
There are three mandatory components to your Orientation designed to help acclimate you to the culture and campus at Montclair State University. The participation and completion of each component are mandatory for all incoming students.
**Please note that family members are not permitted to attend the student session and students are not permitted to attend the family session. Please see the Freshman Family Orientation page for details about Freshman Family Orientation.**
Components of Your Freshman Orientation
- Summer Orientation registration is now open. All dates are listed below.
About the Course
This course will open June 2021 for students accepted for the fall 2021 semester.
In addition to your Orientation, you need to complete the New Student Orientation Summer 2021 Online course via Canvas, Montclair State University’s online learning platform.
This course consists of a series of modules that will introduce you to all the resources available to you as a student at Montclair State. The completion of this course is mandatory for all new students.
You can login to Canvas with your NetID and password to access the course.
New to Canvas?
Canvas is used to publish course materials, create assignments and quizzes, foster interaction, and more.
Login to Canvas with your NetID and password to access the course. For help with accessing your NetID and password, visit the NetID Account Management Center. You can also check out the Canvas Student Information web page for more information about the Canvas platform.
Red Hawk Day will take place on Wednesday, September 1, 2021. More details to come!
Freshman Orientation Details
Freshman Orientation is designed to help you successfully begin your first year at Montclair State University by providing you with the opportunity to meet faculty, staff, current students, and your peers.
This summer we will host a combination of both On-Campus and Virtual Orientation sessions. Students will have the ability to pick one Orientation session that best fits their needs. Orientation dates are based on your Accepted Major only. (If you want to change your major, please contact Undergraduate Admissions first before registering for Orientation)
Freshman students accepted for fall 2021 must sign up for the Freshman Orientation, which are hosted in June and July.
If you are unsure which college your major falls under, you can search for it on the Academic Program Finder.
Summer Bridge Program
Wednesday, June 23, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Virtual
Thursday, June 24, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Virtual
Monday, June 28, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Tuesday, June 29, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Thursday, July 29, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
College of Education & Human Services
Wednesday, June 30, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Thursday, July 1, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
School of Business & School of Nursing
Wednesday, July 7, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
College of Humanities & Social Sciences
Monday, July 19, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Tuesday, July 20, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
College of the Arts
Wednesday, July 21, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Thursday, July 22, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
College of Science & Mathematics
Monday, July 26, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Tuesday, July 27, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus
Thursday, July 8, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Virtual
Monday, July 12, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., On-Campus (Nursing students are excluded from this session)
Tuesday, July 13, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Virtual
Wednesday, July 28, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Virtual
- On-Campus Freshman Orientation will be limited to a maximum of 90 students per session due to NJ State COVID regulations. Registration is available on a first-come basis.
- Once On-Campus registration is full, you will need to register for a Virtual Freshman Orientation session.
- Virtual Freshman Orientation will be hosted on Zoom.
- After registering for your Freshman Orientation, a confirmation email will be sent to your personal and MSU email addresses with further instructions and information.
- Freshman Orientation is MANDATORY for all new students.
- Registration closes 48 hours before each Orientation session.
- If you are planning on changing your major, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a family member is attending Family Orientation, you must select a date and register them within the New Student Orientation Registration form.
- If you would like more information on the status of COVID-19 within the Montclair State University community, please visit Montclair State University’s COVID-19 Updates & Resources website.
- You do not need to be vaccinated to attend Orientation. Per University regulations, students will need to be vaccinated for COVID-19 before coming to campus this fall. Please visit Fall Vaccine FAQs for more information or email email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Montclair State University follows all NJ COVID State guidelines. We expect cooperation from all students and guests during the On-Campus Orientation session.
- If you are feeling sick, please do not come to campus.
- Masks must be worn at all times and 6ft distancing will be required.
- Log in to your application as a Returning User with the same email and password you used to apply to Montclair State University.
- Once signed in, click on your Freshman Application and select New Student Orientation Registration.
- After you fill out the registration form, you will receive a confirmation email that includes more details about your Orientation session.
Want More Info on Orientation?
Don’t worry, we’ve got the answers to your questions.
For other questions about the Freshman Orientation Experience, please check out the Frequently Asked Questions page, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or message us on our Live Chat!