Montclair State University’s Federally Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate for research and sponsored programs on campus is currently 59% of a project’s budgeted salaries and wages (see MSU's Indirect Cost Agreement, dated October 5, 2016).
Indirect cost funds recovered from all sponsored research programs will be distributed according to the following schedule:
- General University Fund (Research Programs) - 30%
- General University Fund (Special Instruct./Training) - 30%
- School/College Dean’s Office - 15%
- Academic Department - 25%
- Principal Investigator (minimum share) - 10%
- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs - 20%
For more information on how these funds may be used/allocated, see Indirect Cost Policies for Sponsored Programs and Special Programs.
Specific questions about processes and procedures for indirect cost distribution should be directed to the Office of Grant Accounting.