Review Schedule and the Review Process
The MSUI IACUC meets semi-annually. Protocols requiring review at times not parallel to the meeting dates will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the committee.
Meeting Schedule for 2018-2019
|September 21, 2018||January 25, 2019|
|November 14, 2018||April 10, 2019|
Who is required to submit?
Prior to their initiation; all animal projects receive approval by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). Faculty members planning to use live vertebrate animals for any University-related activity must submit an animal care and use form (ACUF) to the IACUC for review, or request an exemption from the Committee Chairperson and receive approval, prior to the start of the project. All course work and/or activities required for degree completion must be covered by an IACUC approved ACUF.
Regulations suggest a maximum of one year for animal study approvals. The IACUC will send courtesy reminders to PIs approximately 45-60 days before the expiration date of an approved study to allow sufficient time for renewal processing.
New Protocol Initial Review
- Obtain an Animal Protocol Review Form and submit via email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Studies submitted to the MSU IACUC must include a completed application including all required signatures.
- Submit Animal Protocol Review to the IACUC. The IACUC administrator will acknowledge receipt and send the PI a protocol number to be used in all future correspondence. The IACUC administrator will conduct an administrative review of the application. Any missing components or findings will be returned to the PI within 3 business days.
- Preliminary Review by committee. The IACUC will conduct a preliminary review of the application to determine whether the application requires approval through a designated reviewer procedure (DRP) or through a full committee meeting (FCMP). All committee members are provided ample time (5-7 days) to decide if the protocol requires a full committee meeting.
- Designated Reviewer procedure. The IACUC administrator will forward the protocol to an appropriate reviewer as determined by the IACUC chair. The reviewer has 14 business days to review the protocol. All changes and concerns requested by the designated reviewer will be returned back to the IACUC administrator with copy to the IACUC veterinarian and IACUC chair. The IACUC administrator will notify the PI of the requested changes and the PI will be asked to respond within 15 days. The designated review and veterinarian will then review the responses and changes within 5-10 business days.
- Full Committee Meeting procedure. The IACUC administrator will forward the protocol and documents to the entire committee at least 14 business days prior to the meeting day. During the full committee members may recommend changes to the protocol. The IACUC administrator will notify the PI of the committee findings within 2 business days of the meeting. The PI will be asked to respond to the committee findings within 15 days.
- Protocol Outcomes
- Approval. A final approval letter will be issues to the PI by the IACUC administrator and signed by the IACUC chair. All protocols must abide by their expiration dates noted on the approval letters. All research activity must cease if a protocol is expired and note approved under annual renewal.
- Pilot Approval. A protocol may be approved under pilot approval if the committee or veterinarian deems necessary. A pilot approval will approve a maximum number of animals under the protocol at which time the PI will be required to update the IACUC regarding their concerns. The pilot approval may include observation of protocol activity by the veterinarian or other IACUC members.
- Disapproval. A PI will be notified of disapproval through a signed letter from the IACUC chair.