The Montclair State University Restart Plan has guided our process during the coronavirus pandemic and provides general safeguards for all on campus — students, faculty, staff and visitors — to follow that align with New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy’s phased approach to recovery and executive orders specifically related to higher education.
The safeguards and protocols outlined in our plan reflect the guidance of public health authorities and are based on the best currently-available scientific information about reducing the risk of spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.
As the University continues to respond to new State and Federal regulations, updated guidance from public health authorities and changing circumstances, the plan will be subject to change and we will keep the University Community informed of any changes via email and the official Red Hawk Restart website.
Comments and questions about the plan may be sent to: email@example.com
Keeping the Community Safe is Everyone’s Responsibility
The University is committed to being a safe place to live, learn and work. It expects every member of the campus community to comply with this plan. By doing so, you are helping to keep yourself, your loved ones and everyone around you safe.
At Montclair State, we take care of each other. That means practicing the safeguards specified in this plan, educating each other and our visitors about these practices, and being a role model for our colleagues and classmates. We are all in this together and each of us needs to help our entire community stay as healthy as possible.
It is the official policy of Montclair State University that all members of the campus community must follow the directions outlined in this plan. Employees and students who fail to comply may be subject to disciplinary action, and visitors who fail to comply may be subject to being removed from campus. Violations should be reported to Human Resources (for employees) or the Dean of Students Office (for students). These offices will follow up on complaints and if necessary, implement disciplinary procedures. The University Police will provide assistance If someone is being disorderly or uncooperative with requests to comply.
This plan was first published on July 13, 2020. It will be updated from time to time.
Revisions published on August 3, 2020 are:
- II. Screening, Testing, and Contact Tracing Protocols: contact tracing section expanded
- V. Library and Computer Labs: revised to include information about Library operations during Stage 2
- XI. Intercollegiate Athletics: revised to reflect suspension of fall competitions
- XII. University Restart Health and Safety Committee: names of committee members added
- Additional information about operations during Stage 2 throughout.
- Minor edits for clarity throughout.
Revisions published on August 13:
- II. Screening, Testing, and Contact Tracing Protocols: Testing section updated to clarify the “who will be tested” information.
- III. Instruction: revised to indicate that in-person instruction will resume in the fall semester, in accordance with Executive Order 175.
- IV. On-Campus Housing: added that shared kitchens in residence halls will be open for the purpose of cooking, with limited occupancy, frequent cleaning and no furniture for congregating.
- V. Library & Computer Labs: Computer Labs section updated to reflect that computer labs are allowed to open during Stage 2, with the additional safeguard of dedicated hours for high-risk individuals added to the list of precautions.
- VII. Student Services: added that during Stage 2, recreational activities and programs will be offered both virtually and in person, as allowed by the specific NJ guidelines and regulations pertaining to each type of activity.
- IX. Dining: revised to indicate that indoor dining will be permitted, in accordance with Executive Order 175.
Revisions published on Sept. 18, 2020:
- I.2. Face Coverings: updated to reflect new public health guidance on materials for masks, and to clarify when masks are to be used.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:09 pm