Following the CDC recommendation, Montclair State University requires all students to be up to date with the COVID vaccine or have an approved exemption on file as specified below. Up to date means a person has received the initial doses of any of the recommended WHO-approved COVID-19 vaccines, plus any eligible booster shot as listed on the CDC website. Students must submit proof of vaccination to the University as instructed below. Students who fail to comply may be deregistered from their courses.
In order for Montclair State University to meet the increased demands for on-campus residential housing, effective Summer 2022 semester, housing is only available to students who are either up to date with COVID vaccination or those with an approved medical exemption, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students with an approved medical exemption are required to reside in a single room. All medically exempted students must obtain a PCR test and receive results within 7 days prior to moving into the residence halls and upload the results to MyHealth Portal no later than four business days prior to their confirmed move-in date. If you have had COVID within the last 90 days, you are exempt from testing if your results are on file in the MyHealth Portal. Students should not come to campus if they test positive.
Students who are approved for a religious exemption will not be eligible to reside in campus housing beginning with the Summer 2022 semester. With the increased demand for on-campus residential housing, and the need to retain a number of rooms for quarantine and isolation, we will not be able to house students with religious exemptions moving forward.
Students who enroll with the University as of May 16, 2022 or later are required to submit their booster information as per the eligibility and deadlines noted below.
Eligible students who do not submit their booster information will be subject to restrictions including, but not be limited to, loss of Canvas access, loss of the use of their NetID, and deregistration. Students who live in University housing and have an approved medical exemption from the booster are subject to weekly on-campus testing. Please note that testing may not be substituted for the booster requirement.
Eligibility for a Booster Shot per CDC Guidelines
The date of your initial vaccination(s) and immunocompetence determines when you are eligible to get a booster. You must receive a booster, when you are eligible, and submit the proof of vaccination within 2 weeks from the date you received the booster. Current CDC guidelines indicate eligibility for the booster as follows:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Age 18 or older and at least two (2) months after your single dose
- Age 18 or older and at least five (5) months after your second dose
- Age 12 or older and at least five (5) months after your second dose
Please Note: If you have completed isolation for a COVID-19 infection, you are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster; you do not need to wait! Students who have questions should contact the University Health Center. View vaccine information from the CDC.
Deadlines for Vaccinations
Continuing students who have a university-approved medical or religious exemption must either reapply for a new exemption or submit evidence of vaccination before the start of every fall academic semester and for every subsequent academic year.
Continuing students who are taking any on-campus or hybrid classes in a subsequent semester should submit proof of vaccination by 8 a.m., two Fridays prior to the start of the semester in which they are enrolled.
New students who are taking any on-campus or hybrid classes must should submit proof of vaccination or apply for an exemption by 8 a.m., two Fridays prior to the start of the semester in which they are enrolled.
New international students and students who are admitted fewer than two weeks prior to the start of the semester should submit their proof of vaccination or apply for an exemption before the last day of add/drop. As a reminder, on-campus housing is only available for students who are up to date with vaccinations or students with approved medical exemptions. All international students traveling to the United States by air are required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to arrival in the U.S. Only limited exceptions apply. Learn more about this requirement, including countries that are exempt. Unvaccinated international students will be allowed to be vaccinated in the United States after arrival and provide proof of vaccination before the last day of add/drop.
Visiting Students from another institutions (Non-degree and/or dual enrollment)
All visiting students are expected to submit proof of vaccination in Vax Check or apply for an exemption (medical or religious) no later than one week before the first day of in-person class or scheduled event.
Steps for submitting proof of vaccination in Vax Check:
- Select → I do not have an active Montclair State University NetID on the Vax Check landing page.
- Enter the information required: First Name, Last Name, DOB, Program name being attended, Cell phone, Email Address and home address.
- Select what is being uploaded: vaccine information (1 upload with all required shots), test result or both
Students participating in Montclair State University-sponsored summer camps and/or on-campus activities
All students are expected to submit proof of vaccination in Vax Check or apply for an exemption (medical or religious) no later than one week before the first day of in-person class or scheduled program. Only up to date vaccinated students or students with approved medical exemptions are eligible to stay in the residence halls.
There are only two exceptions for the up to date vaccination requirement:
- Students who will not come to campus for any reason because (a) they are enrolled in online courses only, or (b) they attend courses, clinical placements, or internships at off-campus locations. Students who attend clinical placements or internships are subject to any vaccination requirements imposed by the host site. Please be advised that there are few options for undergraduate students to have an entirely online schedule.
- Students with a university-approved medical or religious exemption. Information regarding how to apply for an exemption is found on the University Health Center’s website.
Rules for Unvaccinated Students
Students who live in University housing and have been approved for a medical exemption are required to complete weekly PCR COVID-19 testing on campus. Off campus testing is not permitted.
Students with approved exemptions for medical reasons may live in University housing, but must occupy a single room. They must obtain a PCR test every week during the semester at the University’s on-campus testing center.
In addition, students with approved religious exemptions will have limitations regarding their participation in high-contact activities, such as intercollegiate athletics, club sports, performing arts, clinical placements or externships. Specifically:
- Unvaccinated students are not permitted to participate in intercollegiate athletics and club sports.
- Unvaccinated students participating in off campus clinical placements, externships, and similar activities must follow the requirements of the host site. If the host site requires vaccination, then these students will not be allowed to participate at that particular site, and the University will attempt to place the student in an alternative host site but cannot assure that one will be available for the student.
Important Due Dates
Deadlines to submit proof of vaccination or submit exemption request
Proof of booster shot must be submitted to MyHealth Portal before 3/1/2022.
|Term||New Students||Visiting Students|
Summer Camp/Event Participants: no later than one week before the first day of scheduled program.
For vaccinated students, up-to-date vaccinations must be on file in MyHealth Portal by the dates listed below. For unvaccinated students, a religious or medical exemption request must be submitted by the dates listed below.
|Student Group||Proof of Vaccination||Exemption Request|
|Continuing Students||N/A||8/19/2022, 8 a.m.|
|New Students (admitted prior to 8/15/2022)||8/19/2022, 8 a.m.||8/19/2022, 8 a.m.|
|Late Admits (admitted after 8/15/2022)||9/13/2022, 8 a.m.||9/13/2022, 8 a.m.|
|International Students||9/13/2022, 8 a.m.||9/13/2022, 8 a.m.|
*Or no later than one week before the scheduled program
For More Information
- How to Submit Proof of Vaccination
- How to File a Request for a Medical or Religious Exception
- How to Get Vaccinated
- About Residence Life Requirements
- CDC COVID Booster Information
This policy was published on January 13, 2022. It is subject to change, based on changing circumstances and any new guidance from the CDC or the State of New Jersey.