Student COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Fall Term 2021
This policy was last updated on August 12, 2021.
Complete COVID-19 vaccination is required for all students: residential and commuter students, undergraduate and graduate students. Complete vaccination means having received two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Proof of complete vaccination must be submitted no later than Monday, August 16, 2021.
Proof of vaccination is required to attend classes in the fall and is required to move into the residence halls.
There are only two exceptions to the requirement for complete vaccination:
(1) those students who will not come to campus for any reason because they are enrolled in fully online programs that provide no on-campus instruction, activities, or services. These are designated degree and certificate programs. You must be enrolled in one of the programs listed on this web page in order to qualify for this exemption.
(2) those students who will come to campus in the fall but who qualify under New Jersey law for an exemption for medical or religious reasons. Students who wish to be exempted from the vaccination requirement for medical or religious reasons must file a request with the University no later than Sunday, August 1, 2021. Requests for exemption will not be accepted after this deadline.
Rules for Unvaccinated Students
Students who are not vaccinated because they have been approved for a medical or religious exemption will be required to do the following:
- Wear a face mask at all times while indoors on campus, unless they are alone in their own room or when eating and drinking
- Wear a face mask at all times when outdoors on campus, unless it is possible to maintain six feet of distance from others
- Be regularly tested for COVID-19 on campus on a schedule that will be established by the University.
Unvaccinated students who are living in residence halls and apartments will be required to live in single bedrooms.
In addition, unvaccinated students will have limitations regarding their participation in high-contact activities, such as athletics or performing arts, clinical placements or externships. Specifically:
- Unvaccinated students will not be permitted to participate in intercollegiate athletics and club sports during the fall semester.
- Students in performing arts degree programs who are unvaccinated will not be allowed to participate in performances. During studio instruction, they will be required to maintain 6 feet of distance from other people, wear a face mask at all times indoors, and wear a face mask when outdoors unless able to keep 6 feet of distance from others.
- Unvaccinated students participating in off campus clinical placements, externships and similar activities must follow the requirements of the host site. If the host site requires vaccination, then these students will not be allowed to participate, and the University cannot assure that an alternative host site will be available for the student.