Last Modified: Friday, April 8, 2022 10:45 am
Spring 2022 Policy
All Montclair State University students must submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19, with some exceptions as specified below. Complete vaccination means having all recommended doses: two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, or a complete series of a WHO approved COVID-19 vaccine, plus any booster shots.
Vaccinated students are permitted to move into the residence halls in either doubles or singles, if available. Exempt students (unvaccinated) may apply for housing but must live in single rooms, based upon availability. Proof of vaccination, or an approved exemption, is required to attend classes on campus. Students who fail to comply may be deregistered from their courses.
International students who were vaccinated outside of the U.S. with a WHO-approved vaccine are required to get a single booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at least 5 months after getting all required doses.
All eligible students must submit proof of their booster shot by Tuesday, March 1, 2022. Information for Students on Submitting Immunizations
Eligible students who do not submit their booster information by the deadline will be subject to weekly testing and other University restrictions.
Eligibility for a Booster Shot
The vaccine you received for your initial vaccination determines when you are eligible to get a booster.
- Johnson & Johnson: age 18 or older and at least two (2) months after your single dose
- Moderna: age 18 or older and at least five (5) months after your second dose
- Pfizer: age 12 or older and at least five (5) months after your second dose
Please Note: If you have completed isolation for a COVID-19 infection, you are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster, you do not need to wait! View Info from the CDC.
Preferred Deadlines for Vaccinations
Continuing students who have already submitted proof of vaccination or have obtained an exemption from the University for medical or religious reasons do not need to do anything.
Returning students who are taking any on-campus classes in the spring – and who have not yet submitted proof of vaccination or filed for an exemption – should do so by 8 a.m., Friday, January 14, 2022.
New students who are taking any on-campus classes should submit proof of vaccination or request an exemption by 8 a.m., Friday, January 14, 2022.
International students and students who are admitted late (after Sunday, January 9, 2022) should submit their proof of vaccination or request an exemption as soon as they are able.
Students should make every effort to meet these deadlines. The University will grant a reasonable extension, based on the student’s individual circumstances, but it cannot guarantee housing or course registrations after the preferred deadlines have passed.
There are only two exceptions to the requirement for complete vaccination:
- Students who will not come to campus for any reason because (a) they are enrolled in online courses only, or (b) they attend courses, clinical placements or internships at off-campus locations. Those students are subject to any vaccination requirements imposed by the host site.
- Students who qualify under New Jersey law for an exemption for medical or religious reasons. Those students must request an exemption in writing using a form provided by the University.
Rules for Unvaccinated Students
Students who are not vaccinated because they have been approved for a medical or religious exemption are required to do the following:
- Wear a face mask at all times while indoors on campus, unless they are alone in their own room
- Wear a face mask at all times when outdoors on campus, unless it is possible to maintain six feet of distance from others
- Be regularly tested for COVID-19 on campus on a schedule that will be established by the University.
Unvaccinated students who are living in residence halls and apartments are required to live in single rooms. The University cannot guarantee that single rooms will be available for all unvaccinated students.
In addition, unvaccinated students will have limitations regarding their participation in high-contact activities, such as athletics or performing arts, clinical placements or externships. Specifically:
- Unvaccinated students will not be permitted to participate in intercollegiate athletics and club sports.
- Students in performing arts degree programs who are unvaccinated will not be allowed to participate in performances. During studio instruction, they will be required to maintain 6 feet of distance from other people, wear a face mask at all times indoors, and wear a face mask when outdoors unless able to keep 6 feet of distance from others.
- Unvaccinated students participating in off campus clinical placements, externships and similar activities must follow the requirements of the host site. If the host site requires vaccination, then these students will not be allowed to participate, and the University cannot assure that an alternative host site will be available for the student.
For More Information
- How to Submit Proof of Vaccination
- How to File a Request for a Medical or Religious Exception
- How to Get Vaccinated
- About Residence Life Requirements
- Student COVID-19 Vaccination Policy Effective Summer 2022 and Beyond
This policy was published on December 9, 2021. It is subject to change, based on changing circumstances and any new guidance from the CDC or the State of New Jersey.