University Quad and the School of Nursing Building

Summer Vaccine FAQs

Have a question about vaccinations for summer 2021? You’ll find the answers here.

How do I submit my proof of vaccination?

Students should follow the steps outlined in the Montclair State student health portal to upload proof of your COVID-19 vaccination. Employees can upload their proof of vaccination at Vax Check.

Where can I get vaccinated?

Essex County is sending its mobile vaccine clinic to campus in August. All employees and students are eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine at no cost. Find more information at Where and How to Get Vaccinated.

All Montclair State employees and students can get vaccinated in Essex County, no matter where they live. Check for appointment openings or call the county’s COVID-19 Hotline at 973-877-8456. People who live in New York can also visit the NY State COVID-19 website.

Another alternative: Text your zip code to “438829” and vaccination locations will be texted to your phone within 10 seconds.

What if I’m an international student and I can’t get vaccinated in my home country before coming to campus in the fall?

Numerous locations in Essex County have vaccines readily available. You can find those at the Essex County Covid website. Montclair State University will be hosting vaccine clinics throughout the summer; information will be listed on this page as they become scheduled.

What if I haven’t started getting my vaccinations yet, or only have one of the required shots (Moderna or Pfizer) – can I still be a summer resident?

You will need to work with the Residence Life staff as you move to become fully vaccinated. As long as you are in progress and have a definitive date for completion of your vaccine schedule, you can remain in your summer housing. If you have not gotten any vaccinations yet, you will need to work with Residence Life staff to find a time and location to get vaccinated ASAP. After June 20, anyone who is not in the process of being fully vaccinated may be asked to leave housing.

What if I need a religious or medical exemption from the COVID-19 vaccine?

The same process as Montclair State has used for requesting exemptions from other required immunizations will be used. New Jersey law permits people to refuse a vaccine for medical or religious reasons. The University Health Center website has set up a process for students to file a request for exemption for medical or religious reasons. You will find exemption forms and more information on the University Health Center’s immunizations page. We will send out information regarding how to upload your vaccination proof or how to request an exemption in early May. For more information, go to the University’s Health Center website.

When I am here this summer, will the Student Recreation Center be available for me to use if I am vaccinated or not fully vaccinated?

You will be able to use the Student Recreation Center by either:

  • Providing evidence that you are fully vaccinated
  • Providing evidence of a negative COVID-19 test in the past 72 hours

Is this summer session vaccine mandate just for residential students or is it also for commuters?

While we are encourage commuter students to be vaccinated immediately, this summer session mandate is in effect for:

  • Summer session students living in Montclair State housing
  • Summer programs involving residential living for all individuals over the age of 16
  • Summer students involved in high risk programs/majors (regardless whether they are residential or a commuter)

Remember, beginning fall 2021, all students (residential and commuters) are required to be vaccinated or have a valid exemption (approved by the University Health Center). The only students who will not be required to get a vaccination are those enrolled in one of the fully online degree programs listed on this website.

How Can I Tell if I am in a “High Contact” Summer Course that Requires me to be Vaccinated?

Here are the “high contact” courses offered in Summer 2021 for which students must have proof of vaccination.
Last updated: 5/20/21

  • EAES 404 Field Geology
  • CSND 535 Beginning Practicum in Communication Disorders
  • CSND 553 Clinical Internship II
  • CSND 554 Clinical Internship III
  • CSND 562 Intermediate Practicum in Communication Disorders
  • CSND 599 Advanced Practicum in Speech-Language Pathology
  • CSND 600 Externship in Speech-Language Pathology
  • CSND 699 Clinical Externship I
  • CSND 700 Clinical Externship II
  • CSND 732 Clinical Externship IV
  • CSND 862 Fourth Year Externship I
  • DNCE 500 Special Topics in Contemporary Dance Practices
  • DNCE 513 Danceaturgy: The Performer as Spectator
  • DNCE 531 Laban Movement Analysis and its Applications
  • DNCE 533 Functional Anatomy
  • FILM 265 Principles of Cinematography
  • MUED 306 Percussion Instruments
  • MUED 307 Instrumental Techniques: Woodwinds I
  • MUED 308 Instrumental Techniques: Woodwinds II
  • MUED 560 Teaching World Music
  • MUED 579 Band Literature for the Music Educator
  • MUPR 255 Problems of Performance
  • TVDM 277 Audio Production for Film/Digital Media
  • TLRN 523 Understanding Community Cultural Wealth in the Service of Urban Teaching
  • ITAL 240 Intensive Italian Bridge Course