Fall 2017 Registration Information

Fall 2017 registration will take place in NEST beginning Monday, April 17. The schedule for registration times can be found on the Fall 2017 Registration Calendar page. Billing information for Fall 2017 will be available through NEST during the summer. 

We have created some helpful documents below that outline how to navigate through NEST to register when Fall 2017 registration opens.  Please note that the screenshots presented in these documents may be slightly different than what you see when you log into NEST.

How To Look Up Classes Instructional Video

We have created a step-by-step instructional video on how to look up classes using the "Look Up Classes" option in NEST. This guide walks you through all the steps from logging into NEST to recording your Course Registration Numbers necessary for registration. Learn more on how to look up classes.

Mandatory Advising

If you are an Undergraduate who is a first-year student, undeclared, on academic action (probation, readmitted from suspension or dismissal), in EOF, athletes confirmed (formerly known as special admit athletes) or an Anthropology or Earth and Environmental Sciences major you are required to meet with your advisor in order to register for classes. Your advisor will be providing you with a PIN that you will use for registration. Find out where to enter this PIN prior to registration.

Reading the Class Schedule. Fall 2017 class schedule will be available on NEST on March 31.

 Learn how to read the class schedule.

Registering for Classes

Once you have met with your academic advisor (Not required but recommended for graduate students), make sure there are no holds on your account and have a plan of action to create your schedule, you are ready to register. You can find your Holds by navigating to the "Register for Classes" page in NEST. The schedule for registration times will be posted to the Registrar's website on Monday, April 3.. Find out how to register for classes.


Faculty can access a walk-through on how to use Self Service Banner (SSB) to manage their class schedules.

If you have any questions about any of the tutorials, please contact the Registrar's office line: 973-655-4376.

Fall 2017 Registration FAQs

What if you are blocked from repeating a course that you have taken one or more time in prior terms?

Per University Academic Policy, undergraduate students are permitted to repeat a course only in which they have received a final grade of D+, D, D- or F. They are not permitted to repeat a course in which they received a C- or higher without special permission. Graduate students are not permitted to repeat courses without special permission. (Certain “repeatable” courses, like a music lessons, independent studies, coops, special topics courses are exceptions).

For permission to repeat a course for which you have earned a C- or higher, see either the Dean’s Office of the College/School of your major or the Dean’s Office of the College/School in which the course is offered. Graduate students must see the Dean’s Office of the Graduate School.

Please fill out the Request To Repeat Course.

How are Permits handled?

Permits may be issued by Department Chairpersons. Students who wish to obtain a permit to enter a closed course, or a course in which they have not met the pre-req, co-req or other requirements, may visit the appropriate academic department for assistance.

How do I find my PIN? (Students with Mandatory advising ONLY)

Students who are required to have mandatory advising will need a Registration PIN to register. While you are meeting with your advisor, you will receive this PIN. Students will be asked to hold on to this PIN, as they will need it for any future drop/adds or withdrawals from classes. Each semester, a new PIN will be issued and needed for registration.

How are applications for graduation being handled?

Students who wish to apply for graduation must do so online through NEST on the "Register for Classes" page.
Undergraduates who have earned 105 hours, Graduate/Master's students who have earned 18 hours and Doctoral candidates with 45 or more hours will see the option to apply to graduate when they select the "Apply for Graduation" link in the "Apply For Graduation" portlet.

How are address changes, name changes, social security changes being handled?

Students can change their mailing address through NEST in Banner. Students who wish to make a change to their permanent address, or for name and social security changes please follow the instructions on the Registrar’s website, submitting required documents in person to this office.

How is grading handled right now and through this year?

Final grades are available in NEST.