Housing and Residence Life Staff
The Housing and Residence Life staff work together to provide an outstanding on-campus experience for you!
In collaboration with one another under the guidance of the Executive Director, the Associate Directors direct the day to day activities of Housing and Residence Life Office in two distinct areas: Operations and Residence Life. This includes oversight of the contract process, assignments and the overall condition of our residence halls, as well as engaging students in the residence halls, creating an inclusive residential environment, and providing a safe home away from home.
The Residence Life staff is composed mostly of Student Staff (Service Assistants and Resident Assistants), Assistant Community Directors (ACDs), and Community Directors (CDs), who live with the residents in the halls. They are responsible for creating programs for their communities, counseling residents through roommate conflicts, and policy enforcement.
The Office of Residence Life, in collaboration with other key University resources, is committed to providing a quality residential experience through our facilities, administration, counseling, dining services, and developmental programs that are engaging and beneficial to our residents’ academic success, safety, and personal growth.
We are committed to creating experiences that transform a student’s knowledge of self and prepares them to successfully engage in activities that benefit and contribute to society; to pursue and excel in career paths that are aligned with their personal goals; develop career expertise and the capacity for life-long learning; and to establish lifelong connections with their peers, the community, and university.
We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive environment where all members have the opportunity to thrive and which embraces and celebrates the diversity of all of its students and employees, provides economic affordability, and full equitable access to all the resources of the University.
We are committed to creating an environment that drives innovation, increases knowledge, and provides solutions for the social, economic, educational, and health care challenges of the culturally diverse communities of New Jersey and beyond.
Montclair State University is just 12 miles from all the excitement of New York City! Hop on a train from one of our two campus stations to catch a play, shop, visit a museum, or hit a hot new restaurant or club. Newark – New Jersey’s largest city – is minutes away and a hub for pro-sports within the Prudential Center along with big-name rock concerts, where the commencement ceremonies for our graduates are held every year and much more.
What’s To Love About Montclair
Downtown Montclair has a wide variety of offerings that span shopping, art, entertainment, and more. Check out the website below to explore what’s around our area!
With on-campus stops for several major bus lines, students can connect to the Big Apple just 15 minutes away as well as explore opportunities in their own neighborhood. The township of Montclair is well regarded for its arts programming, cultural attractions, small independent shops, and restaurants. NJ Transit buses provide immediate access to its three major commercial areas: the Upper Montclair Business District, Watchung Plaza, and Bloomfield Avenue.
The buses with on-campus stops include:
- Decamp #66 to New York City
- NJ Transit #28 from Newark to the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne
- NJ Transit #191 from the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne to NYC via Little Falls
- NJ Transit #705 from Passaic to the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne
Students can access the NJ Transit Midtown Direct service to NYC from the Montclair Heights train station at the South end of campus or the Montclair State University train station at the North end of campus.
Executive Director, She/Her/Hers
- St. Peter’s University, Jersey City, NJ – B.A. in Elementary Education/American Studies
- St. Peter’s University, Jersey City, NJ – M.A. in Education, Administration and Supervision Concentration
- They Spend Their Time By: My family brings me joy! I enjoy watching my children grow and develop into strong and independent individuals. Watching them dance, act, sing, run, or just laugh make all of the hard times that come with parenting fade away. My favorite part of my job is working on the budget. I enjoy coming to work and sharing ideas and thoughts with members of my team! It is an added bonus when a student staff member wants to chat and learn more about me and share about them!
Associate Director for Residential Support Services, He/Him/His
- Siena College, Loudonville, NY – B.A. in Psychology
- Montclair State University, Montclair NJ – M.A. and Ph.D. in Counseling
- They Spend Their Time By: Free time HA! I spend my free time with my two boys and enjoy every minute of it. There is so much to do in this area from hiking, fishing to go down the shore it depends on what you feel like doing today. I can help with students of concern, emotional support animals, housing occupancy management, team development and how to learn to laugh at oneself. The ResLife team is one of the hardest working teams on a college campus but we are also a group of people that can depend on one another and laugh and have fun!
Associate Director for Residence Life, She/Her/Hers/They/Them/Theirs
- SUNY Cortland, Cortland, NY – B.A. in Communication Studies
- Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY – M.Ed
- Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN/Peabody Online – Ed.D in Leadership and Learning in Organizations (Expected Completion – December 2021)
- They Spend Their Time By: Most of my time is spent with my family. I have an awesome partner, Ian, two children, Evan (5) and Ainsley (1), and a cat named Kona (8). The rest of my time is spent reading/writing/studying. I also love to travel, cook, eat, read, and play games. I love living in this area, the restaurants are amazing and it is easy to get into the city. Brookdale Park is a great place to be active or just chill with a book. They also have some great concerts and craft fairs. Favorite restaurants in the area include Mesob, Laurel and Sage, Fin, De Novo, and The Crosby. I love all the different aspects of residence life and appreciate the exposure we get to so many pieces of student affairs, human resources, leadership development, etc. Within our department, I have a lot of institutional knowledge and I am open to helping with anything.
Assistant Director for Residence Life – Facilities, She/Her/Hers
- Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ – B.A. in Fine Arts Education
- Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ – M.Ed. in Special Education
- They Spend Their Time By: In Residence Life, you can find me following up on work orders, facilities issues, and planning future residence hall projects. I enjoy having the opportunity to propose and help implement projects and renovations for our buildings that greatly improve a resident’s experience in our halls. Outside of work, you can often find me around town in areas where people walk their dogs as I live vicariously through them as a hopeful dog owner one day. When I’m not swooning over someone else’s dog, I enjoy spending time with my two cats, Theodore and Oliver, traveling, getting lost in NYC, and checking out some cool art in museums.
Assistant Director of Residence Life, She/Her/Hers
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ – B.A. in Biological Sciences & Psychology
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA – M.A. in Student Affairs in Higher Education
- They Spend Their Time By: Residence Life related, I focus a lot of my time on professional staff recruitment, selection, training, and development. I also supervise the Residence Life live-on team for the West Neighborhood. I’m actively involved with MACUHO. Outside of work, I’m either baking something from scratch in the kitchen, visiting with family, or spending time outside. Being outside is my favorite: taking walks with my children, time at the playground with them, gardening, jumping in puddles, and looking up at the stars.
Assistant Director of Residence Life, She/Her/Hers
- Cabrini College, Radnor, PA – B.A. in Psychology and Political Science Double Major
- Shepherd University, Shepherdstown, WV – M.A. in College Student Development and Administration, Multicultural Issues Concentration
- They Spend Their Time By: I love musicals. For almost two years now, I have tried to see a broadway musical once a month since we have such easy access to New York City. In my free time, I enjoy reading, being outside, and watching Netflix and Hulu. I was born and raised in Philly and it is where most of my family resides, so I visit my niece Chloe and my friends in that area. I like breakfast places in this area and a few lunch/dinner spots. My thirst for knowledge makes me a library of random information. So ask and I’ll try to answer.
Professional Services Specialist, She/Her/Hers
Business Administrator, She/Her/Hers
- They Spend Their Time By: I have been at Montclair State University for eight years! Most important to me is the time I spend with my family and friends. I like reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, and traveling. My favorite vacation spots are Myrtle Beach and Aruba. Most recently I started ballroom dance lessons, which I’m really enjoying.
Executive Assistant to the Executive Director, She/Her/Hers
They Spend Their Time By: I have been working at Montclair State University as the Assistant to the Executive Director for nine years. “Gammy” loves spending time with family, especially my granddaughter, Olivia. I love spending time at the beach, especially Palm Beach in Aruba which I visit every year. In my spare time, I love putting on my jammies and curling up with a good book!
Administrative Assistant, East & West Campus, She/Her/Hers
- Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY – B.A. in History
- Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ – M.A. in Educational Leadership, Higher Education Concentration
- They Spend Their Time By: In Residence Life, I like to consider myself a jack of all trades knowing a little bit about each area within our department and the people to connect students and professionals alike. Outside of work I enjoy reading a good book, spending time with family or trying a new restaurant or experience with friends.
Community Director, She/Her/Hers
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL. – B.S. in Interpersonal/Organizational Communications, Hospitality Management Minor
- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL – M.A.in Higher Educational Leadership
- They Spend Their Time By: I was born and raised in New Jersey and moved to Florida when I was 13. I lived all over in Florida, and I am a huge fan of Disney! I have a small obsession with Star (Starbucks). I am an avid sports fan: New York Yankees and Giants fan all the way. I have a cat named Dexter who wears bowties. I love going to the movies, sporting events, Broadway shows, and watching Netflix or Hulu. In Student Affairs, I am passionate about recruitment, selection, training, and leadership. I love working with graduate students and mentoring students about housing and residence life.
Community Director, He/Him/His
- Montclair State University, Montclair, NJ – B.S. in Business: Marketing/Management
- Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ – M.A. in Organizational Leadership: Higher Education
- They Spend Their Time By: In my free time, I love to expand my mind by reading or watching documentaries, playing and watching basketball, and writing poetry. I aspire to publish two books by 2023. I also enjoy spoken word and watching amazing movies, such as Love Jones, Shawshank Redemption, The Man from Nowhere, Malcolm X, and YES Man—to name a few. My areas of expertise in Residence Life revolve around social justice and diversity, community building, programming, and selflessly assisting students on their paths towards their present and future goals. I truly believe that helping someone identify and embrace their true self brings them closer to their purpose on the journey. My motivation to lead grows by seeing the amazing efforts the RAs and SAs put towards their leadership roles and by being surrounded by genuine energy and good people.
Previous Assistant Community Director, Dinallo Heights, He/Him/His
- Where are you now?
- I am currently located in Boston, Massachusetts at Berklee College of Music.
- What do you do?
- I’m working as a Resident Director in Housing & Residential Education.
- What did you take away from your grad experience at Montclair?
- Montclair gave me the opportunity to create the experience I wanted. After my two years with the department, I feel confident saying that I left as a more competent and compassionate professional. My experience was so rich with lessons that I felt more than adequately prepared for my role as a full-time professional.