It is finally that time of the year. We are so excited to welcome new and returning students back to Red Hawk Country! The information below will help guide you to prepare for a seamless move-in process.
Move-in will begin on Monday, August 23 and will go until August 31. All students are able to select a specific date and time to move into their housing assignments based on their class level and building. To ensure a smooth check-in process, we do not allow any changes to the move-in schedule, no exceptions. There are alternatives provided in the check-in section below.
What Do I Need for Check-In?
- Your Montclair State University ID Card.
- Your Check-In Confirmation Email from SignUpGenius.
- Your Golden Ticket* (email or physical copy).
*Qualified students can expect the Golden Ticket to be emailed to their Montclair State University Gmail account by the second week of August.
In order to move onto campus, all students must sign up for a move in date and time using SignUpGenius (links below). We have created a schedule based on each building from August 23 to August 31 that will allow for a safe move in process so that our students and families are as comfortable as possible coming back to campus!
Please note, if you have been approved by a campus employee for an early arrival program, for example, Athletics, Campus Recreation training, etc. then you would not sign up for a move-in date and time. Your move in information comes from your supervisor or program coordinator!
Please note, students are permitted two (2) guests into the building to assist with unpacking their belongings. There is more information regarding the move-in process below.
Sign Up for a Move-In Date and Time
- Click the link below to access SignUpGenius and sign up for a date and time. You will need to click the link for the building you are assigned.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you do not know your building, you can confirm your building by logging into the Residential Management System (RMS) and clicking View My Room and Roommate. You will not be able to enter a sign up form for another building as the forms are associated with our rosters.
- Find an available date and time that you want to sign up for. The form will only show you spaces that are available. If you have a conflict with dates and times listed, you must email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Click the check box next to “Sign Up” next to the date and time you are interested in.
- Scroll down and click “Submit and Sign Up.”
- Enter your CWID number in the box. Do not include the M in front of your CWID number!
- Enter your first name, last name, Montclair Email account, and your housing assignment (i.e. BO-1205a).
- Click “Sign Up Now.”
- You will be redirected to a page that will allow you to add this to your calendar (recommended), share with friends (or your family!), and to contact our office.
To Change Your Move-In Date and Time
- In your confirmation email from SignUpGenius, click “Edit My Sign Up” on the bottom left hand of the page.
- You will be re-directed to a page on SignUpGenius.
- Click “Delete” and delete your sign up. You will be re-directed to your building’s sign up page.
- You can select a new date and time and follow the same instructions outlined above.
*PLEASE NOTE: You will need your confirmation email from SignUpGenius for the check-in process, so be sure not to delete or lose that email!
In addition to your check-in confirmation email, all students will receive a “Golden Ticket” via their Montclair Email address. The Golden Ticket lets the University staff know the student has completed the below bullet points and is approved to move in.
- Your fall 2021 bill must be paid in full, you must be enrolled in a payment plan on NEST, OR you must be enrolled in Financial Aid to cover your bill.
- Your Emergency Contact Information has been submitted in NEST.
- All housing agreements and the COVID amendment must be completed in the Residential Management System (RMS). If you have not yet done so, please follow the below directions:
- Log into RMS using your NetID and associated password.
- Click “Next Step” after Current Montclair State University student.
- Scroll down and click “Next Step” after Housing Confirmation / COVID Amendment.
- Read all the information listed and complete the requirements. You must hit “Finish” for the form to record your information!
- Your immunization records are submitted through MyHealth Portal.
- This includes all requirements regarding your COVID-19 vaccination and/or exemption forms. Specific information regarding your Immunization requirements can be found here!
- For the most up to date information regarding COVID-19 policies and procedures, please visit the University’s central COVID-19 web page here.
- Please Note: Students with an approved exemption from the COVID-19 vaccine must receive and submit a negative COVID-19 PCR test at least 72 hours prior to your move-in date.
If a student does not complete any of the above bullet points, they will not be permitted to check-in to their space. Golden Tickets will be sent to students via their Montclair Email account the week before move-in begins. We will continuously send Golden Tickets up until move-in to students who complete any of the above after indicated deadline dates. As a good practice, students should aim to have the above completed by the second week of August.
On your move-in date and time, you will be permitted to drive to campus and move into your space! University Police will be stationed at all entrance points of the University to provide directions to your building and to check for your Check-In Confirmation email, Golden Ticket, and Montclair State University ID card.
For planning purposes, if you are checking into:
- Freeman Hall or Russ Hall: Enter the campus from Normal Ave and turn onto College Ave.
- Bohn Hall, Blanton Hall or Stone Hall: Enter the campus from Normal Ave and turn onto Carlisle Rd.
- Dinallo Heights or Machuga Heights: Enter the campus from Valley Road to Yogi Berra Drive.
- Sinatra Hall: Enter The Village at Little Falls on Clove Road.
- Hawk Crossings: Enter the Hawk Crossings complex on Clove Road.
- The Village: Enter The Village complex on Clove Road.
Once you reach your building, you will be eligible to unload your vehicle(s). You will have approximately 10 minutes to unload your vehicle. You must stay with your vehicle at all times. You must completely unload your vehicle and then move to a designated parking zone before moving into your residence hall.
For safety purposes, students are permitted to have two (2) guests assist with the move-in process in their space. Guests should complete Hawk Check prior to coming to campus.
We know that moving into college is a very overwhelming process. Our office has compiled a list of items that are most commonly brought by our students as well as items that are prohibited in our residence halls! Be sure to use this list as a guide when packing for school.
What is Included
Every room has one bed, closet, desk, chair and dresser per student.
What You Can Bring
We’ve compiled a list of approved items you may want to bring with you to your new room.
- Cleaning supplies
- Shower curtains and hooks
- Bath mat
- Toilet paper
- Bedding (Twin Extra-Long)
- Power strip/surge protector
- Iron/ironing board
- Alarm clock
- Reading/desk lamp
- Flashlight and batteries
- Garbage cans and bags
- ATM/bank card (campus uses Bank of America)
- Storage crates
- Laundry detergent
- Clothes hamper and hangers
- School supplies
- Paper towels, plates, utensils, cups
- Small Brita pitcher or water bottles
- Seasonal clothing
- Coffee maker with auto-shutoff
- Microwaves and Refrigerators
- 1 refrigerator is permitted per room.
- Refrigerators must be 3.5 cubic feet or under.
- 1 microwave is permitted per room or apartment.
- Microwaves must be 700 watts or under.
- Bohn Hall and Stone Hall Bathrooms
- Community bathrooms are cleaned and maintained by our housekeeping staff on a daily basis.
- Shower curtains and toilet paper are provided by our housekeeping staff and do not need to be purchased.
- Freeman Hall
- Freeman Hall does not have overhead lighting provided in rooms. Floor/desk lamps must be purchased by residents.
- Additional Supplies for Apartments (Hawk Crossings and the Village)
- Small kitchen appliances (i.e. toaster oven, blender, George Foreman grill, etc.) – limit to one of each type of small appliance per apartment.
- Pots, pans, and cooking utensils
- Village ONLY – dishwasher detergent
- Village ONLY – bar stools
What You Can’t Bring
We’ve compiled a list of items that are prohibited in all of Montclair State University’s Residence Halls:
- Air conditioners
- Kitchen appliances – not permitted in traditional halls (hot plates, rice cookers, Crock Pots, toasters, toaster ovens, electric skillets, coffee makers without auto-shut offs, George Foreman grills, Instant Pots, popcorn makers, deep fryers, waffle makers)
- Blenders and coffee makers with auto-shut offs are the only appliances permitted in traditional halls.
- For apartments, 1 of each type of appliance per apartment is permitted – see special notes above.
- Bed risers
- Candles and Incense
- Candle/wax warmers
- Canopies that hang over beds
- Non-approved power sources (extension cords, multi-plug adapters or anything without UL seal of approval)
- Flammable liquids, charcoal or fireworks
- Outside furniture (anything to replace furniture provided by the University, bed frames, headboards, mattresses, desks, chairs, closets, futons, couches, bean bag chairs, bookshelves, butterfly chairs, ottomans, TV stands)
- Gas, propane or grills
- Gasoline-powered items (mopeds, generators, motorized scooters)
- Non-approved lighting (neon lights and signs, halogen lamps, lava lamps, torchiere lamps, plastic multi-headed octopus lamps)
- Live holiday decorations (trees, wreaths, corn stalks, hay)
- Lock, chain or other locking devices to install on room or bathroom doors
- Space heaters
- Subwoofer speakers
- Pets – only fish in aquariums 5 gallons or smaller permitted
- Portable washer and/or dryer machines
- Weapons and ammunition
For more information on prohibited items, please visit Fire Safety’s Information for Residents web page.
If you have any questions regarding the fall 2021 move-in process, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 973-655-5188.