Get Move-in Ready
We’re excited for your upcoming move to Red Hawk Country! Please read this web page for detailed information pertaining to testing, out-of-state student information and more. We are working diligently to make this process as safe for you and your family as possible and your participation and patience is greatly appreciated.
We have received clarification on the State’s Guidelines for Restart Standards for Higher Education, as issued by the Office of the Secretary of Higher Education. It allows for residence hall occupancy of less than 100% during Stage 2. Therefore, we look forward to welcoming you back home in the next few weeks!
Due to the short time frame, we will not be offering any early drop-off opportunities between Wednesday, August 5 and Sunday, August 9.
We have made significant adjustments to our move-in process to ensure that social distancing protocols are met while still allowing you ample time to move onto campus. Please pay close attention to the below expectations and information on how to sign up for a specific move-in date and time.
- Masks: Each student and guest(s) are required to wear a mask while moving in and walking within the building and when social distancing is not possible.
- Testing & Self-Screening: (See COVID-19 Testing information below.) Self-screening process will be announced early next week. Staff and immediate family members of a student residing in an on-campus housing facility must complete the self screening process to be allowed to assist with student move-in related activities.
- Guests: Each student will be limited to two (2) guests to assist with the move-in process. Remember: all guests, including those who help you move in, must complete the screening process to be announced early next week. (See Out-of-State information below.)
- Social Distancing: Please pay close attention to all signs in the building with specific directions on social distancing protocols.
- Moving Bins: Moving bins will be available for use. We will provide single-use liners for the bins to help reduce the need to clean the bins between each use. We also recommend you wear gloves as you unload your cars and load the bins. You may bring your own hand truck if that makes you more comfortable.
- Elevators: We will limit the use of elevators to one family per elevator car.
- Student ID Card: You will need your ID card for move-in.
- New Students: Your ID cards will be waiting for you at the front desk of your building when they arrive for check-in.
- Returning Students: If you have lost your ID Card please email Cardservices@montclair.edu with the following information: Name, CWID, Move-in Date, Building. Card services will reprint and have your card ready for move in with at least three (3) business days’ notice. You will be charged a replacement fee of $20.00 to your student account.
- Student Assistants: There will NOT be any student assistants (Hall Raisers) for move-in help this year.
- Extra Furniture: If you are assigned to a room that normally would be used as a double or triple occupancy, please note we are unable to remove the extra furniture, but you are free to use it.
Move-in Time Sign Up
You will be able to select a move-in date and time via Sign Up Genius. On Monday, August 3, all students will receive a specific email with a link to sign up for a date and time to move in. The email will come from “Office of Residence Life” with the subject “Pick Your Move-in Date and Time!” and will be sent to your Montclair email account.
Steps to be Move-in Ready
- Double check your assignment and roommates in RMS.
- If there are concerns, please email Residence Life at email@example.com.
- Complete your Emergency Contact Information in NEST.
- Submit your immunization records (meningitis immunization is required for move-in) and COVID-19 results to your My Health Portal. (See below for additional testing information.)
- Complete Your Safety PlanYou are required to complete a safety plan in the event of academic or housing changes as they relate to COVID-19. Complete Your Safety Plan Now.
- Sign Your Housing Agreement AmendmentYou must sign your housing agreement amendment in RMS prior to move in. To do this:
- Log into RMS with your NetID and password
- Click your student type (either New Students or Current Students)
- Scroll down to Sign My Housing Agreement Amendment
- Click “Next Step”
- Follow all housing prompts to electronically sign your amendment.
- Click “Finish”
- Please make arrangements to satisfy your account balance. Fall bills are due Monday, August 17. Get More Information about Bill & Payment Plans.
COVID-19 Testing Information
As announced in our Red Hawk Restart plan, all residents will be required to complete pre-arrival COVID-19 testing 7-10 days before coming onto campus. Positive antibody testing is not considered a negative COVID test result and cannot be submitted in place of a negative test result. One of the goals of this COVID testing requirement is to reduce the potential for asymptomatic, infected students to arrive on campus.
If you test positive for COVID-19, you must remain at home and isolate for at least 14 days. You may come to campus after you are cleared by your treating health-care provider. All COVID-19 results are submitted to the My Health Portal.
If you are looking for places to be tested for COVID-19, please discuss this with your health-care provider or refer to the resources found on the University Health Center’s website.
If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days prior to arrival, please remain at home until you are medically evaluated for COVID-19. If you test positive for COVID-19, you must remain at home and isolate for at least 14 days. You may come to campus after you are cleared by your treating health-care provider. Once you receive these results you must upload them to your My Health Portal.
Information for Out-of-State Students
As announced by Governor Murphy, all students arriving from states listed on the travel advisory list must participate in a 14-day self-quarantine when arriving on campus. Students will be able to self-quarantine on campus in their housing assignments. We will do our best to not assign your roommate a move in time while you are in quarantine. We ask all out-of-state students to plan to arrive on Monday, August 10 or Tuesday, August 11. If you are a Theatre or Dance major and need to arrive earlier as your classes start on Monday, August 17 please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange for a date and time for you to arrive. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19 please remain at home until you have a negative test result and symptoms have resolved.
Meals while in Self-quarantine
Our Dining Services provider, Chartwells, will provide a minimum of three meals per day to the quarantined student(s) if the student has a meal plan. Meals will be dropped off at the entrance of the student’s room/suite/apartment. More details will be arranged with the student and Residence Life/Chartwells prior to arrival. If you live in The Village or Hawk Crossings, and you do not have a meal plan, you are expected to bring all items necessary to remain in quarantine, including food, so you do not have to leave during your self-isolation period.
No guests will be allowed while you are in quarantine. You are expected to remain in your room during your quarantine period except in an emergency situation such as the activation of the fire alarm.