Conveying knowledge of how Earth systems operate and how human actions affect these systems. Conservation is Everyone’s Responsibility!
An aerial view of NJSOC’s 240 acres, nestled in Stokes State Forest.
The mission of Montclair State University’s School of Conservation is to gather knowledge of Earth systems through research and to communicate this knowledge through education. Our goal is to contribute to the resolution of environmental problems by cultivating environmentally responsible behaviors that will encourage scientists, teachers, students and citizens to promote sustainable practices in their communities.
Environmental Education Programming
The NJ School of Conservation is the oldest and largest university-operated Environmental Education facility in the nation, annually serving thousands of students and teachers from kindergarten through college since 1949. Nestled on 240 pristine acres in Stokes State Forest in northwest New Jersey, our location offers a unique opportunity for hands-on education.
More than 40 interactive sessions provide field experiences in environmental and social sciences, humanities and outdoor pursuits. Students ‘learn by doing’ and by having fun outdoors. Their questions and interests drive the sessions, effectively encouraging critical thinking, environmental responsibility and self-confidence in an informal, structured atmosphere.
Our academically enriching field trips can take the form of a day trip or an overnight residential experience. Our facilities can accommodate up to 200 people for sleeping and dining, and every visit is tailored to meet your educational objectives. We also welcome scouting groups, homeschoolers, youth groups, etc.
For more details about planning an educational field trip to the NJ School of Conservation, visit the Plan Your Trip page or contact Lisa Mills by phone at 973-948-4900 ext. 32 or by email at MillsL@montclair.edu.
- Harrington Park 6th Graders have Outdoor Education Experience at the NJSOCWednesday November 13, 2019
- New Jersey School of Conservation Welcomes Lincoln School Seventh GradersTuesday October 8, 2019
- Kent Place Students Experience the Great Outdoors at Montclair State University’s Field StationTuesday October 8, 2019
- Gill St. Bernard Experiences Environmental Education Tradition at NJSOCTuesday October 8, 2019
- EnergySmart Charter School has Environmental Experience at NJSOCFriday June 28, 2019
- Berkeley Township Elementary Enjoys Trip to Montclair State University Field StationFriday June 28, 2019