Outside Scholarships

Financial Aid

Financial Aid, including grants, student or parent loans, and scholarships may be used to offset educational expenses.  Estimated financial aid will be reflected on the student account summary via NEST.  If your charges exceed your financial aid, you must pay the balance by the due date to avoid late fees.  Please contact Financial Aid if you are making changes to your schedule, this may also change the amount of potential aid you will receive.  For questions regarding financial aid, and all important deadlines please visit their website in Red Hawk Central, view the Frequently Asked Questions or call 973-655-4461.

Guidelines for Outside Scholarships:

Student’s MUST submit copies of all scholarship notification letter(s) to the Office of Student Accounts. Information may be sent to the Office of Student Accounts via mail, fax or in person.

These letter(s) should include the following:

  • Name of Scholarship
  • CWID Number
  • Amount of Scholarship
  • If information is available how the scholarship will be disbursed. (i.e. paper check or electronic transmission of funds -EFT)
  • If the scholarship will be made payable to student or school.
  • If the entire amount of the scholarship will be sent at the beginning of the year or semester.

**Outside scholarship awards are considered resources and may reduce the amount of need-based financial aid you are awarded. If the outside scholarship exceeds a student’s financial need and/or cost of attendance, adjustments may be made to the student’s financial aid package to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.

Scholarships Requiring Documentation

Enrollment and Academic Verification

Some scholarships may require an invoice or billing statement from Montclair State University before sending payment to the school. This information is typically noted on the notification letter. Below are some commonly requested documents:

  • Billing statement or invoice – Requests for an invoice must be noted in the notification letter along with the agencies contact and billing address information.
  • Verification forms - Verification forms can be mailed to the Office of Student Accounts or faxed to (973) 655-4421 Attn: Danisha Goodman.
  • Transcripts or certification of enrollment: Please be advised that the Office of Student Accounts cannot issue official transcripts or enrollment certifications. Students may submit a request through NEST for official transcripts. The Certification of Enrollment Request Form can be obtained online or in person at the Office of the Registrar. Students can access information pertaining to their academic standing, financial aid awards, cost of attendance and more on NEST.
  • MSU Scholarship Billing Request Form

Instructions for Submitting Checks to MSU:

Scholarship checks should be made payable to Montclair State University with the student’s full name, CWID#, and semester(s) to which the funds should be applied. Scholarship checks should be mailed to the address below:

Montclair State University
Office of Student Accounts

Attn: Danisha Goodman
Red Hawk Central
Montclair, NJ 07043

Scholarship checks made payable to the student and Montclair State University must be endorsed by the student before the funds can be applied to his/her account. The Office of Student Accounts will contact you when your endorsement is needed.

Note: Scholarship checks made payable to the student ONLY cannot be accepted.