Frequently Asked Questions
PLACEMENT TESTING AT MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY AND YOU!
Congratulations on your acceptance to Montclair State University! We look forward to having you join our "family."
An important part of your success in college will be enrolling in courses that are best suited to your level of preparation and career goals. The first step in this process is for you to take the Montclair state University Placement Test (MSUPT). At Montclair State University, this test is administered by the Academic Success Center and must be taken before a student’s first semester of enrollment.
- WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PLACEMENT TEST?
- WHEN MUST I TAKE THE MSUPT?
- ARE SAMPLE TEST QUESTIONS AVAILABLE?
- IS ANYONE EXEMPT FROM THE MSUPT?
- IS THERE SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES?
- HOW WILL MY TEST SCORES BE USED?
- WHEN SHOULD I COMPLETE MY REQUIRED PRECOLLEGE READING PROGRAM?
1. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PLACEMENT TEST?
The MSUPT is used to assess your individual skills in reading and mathematics, and to assist you and your advisor in making decisions about the kinds of courses you are prepared to take. Your scores will also indicate what areas of the Montclair State University Basic Skills requirements you have satisfied.
2. WHEN MUST I TAKE THE MSUPT?
You are expected to take required basic skills courses prior to your first semester at Montclair State University. Therefore, it is important that you take the MSUPT before you register, so that you may receive a schedule appropriate to your needs and wishes. You will be scheduled for placement testing after you accept our offer of admission and return the MSU Placement Test Reply Form attached below. The Placement Test is given free of charge to all students admitted to Montclair State University. Your prompt return of the Test Reply Form will assure that you may complete your registration properly.
3. ARE SAMPLE TEST QUESTIONS AVAILABLE?
Upon receipt of the Test Reply Form, we will mail you a test date confirmation letter, a web link which includes sample test questions. Samples are also available from the home page of this link.
4. IS ANYONE EXEMPT FROM THE MSUPT?
All full-time and part-time students are required to take the MSUPT. However, the following students may apply for exemption from the Placement Test by checking the appropriate line on the Test Reply Form and returning it to Academic Success Center:
- All students with available SAT Critical Reading scores greater than or equal to 500 (27 if taken in 2016) or available ACT Reading scores greater than or equal to 19 are exempt from all remedial and developmental coursework in reading, and do not need to take a reading placement test.
- All students who completed BOTH high school English and History in their junior year with a course numerical grade of 83 or better are exempt from remedial and developmental coursework in reading, and do not need to t ake a reading placement test. These students should confer with their academic advisors and enroll in the appropriate college-level courses.
Students entering Montclair State University with 24 or more college credits accepted by Montclair. Students will be asked to provide verification of these credits. However, students who plan to take advanced math courses must take the math sections of the test to determine appropriate placement regardless of transfer status.
- Students who have already taken the ACCUPLACER Test at another college (only scores on the ACCUPLACER test taken within the last three years will be accepted). Please arrange to have your test scores, along with records of developmental/remedial courses completed, forwarded immediately to the Academic Success Center, Montclair State University, Upper Montclair, NJ 07043.
- Readmits to MSU who have already taken the Placement Test at Montclair or who, at the time of readmission, have accumulated 24 or more semester hour credits.
- Students registered in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses. These students are required to take the math sections of the MSUPT; the reading and writing sections will be deferred until after ESL courses are completed.
5. IS THERE SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES?
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking the test under standard conditions, you may request special accommodations and arrangements to take the test. No charge is made for these arrangements. For details, please contact the Disability Resource Center at (973) 655-5431.
6. HOW WELL MY TEST SCORES BE USED?
Your test scores will be used to determine whether or not you meet the level of proficiency in reading and mathematics. A precollege reading program is provided for students who do not score at the established proficiency level on the reading section of the MSU Placement Test.
8. WHEN SHOULD I COMPLETE MY REQUIRED PRECOLLEGE READING PROGRAM?
Students who are entering Montclair State in the fall semester and who are determined to need coursework in basic skills reading on the basis of placement test results MUST enroll in and successfully complete one of the following approved reading programs:
- An On-Line Precollege Reading; students choosing this option will go through an on-line program offered by Montclair State University over the summer. Students who are placed into Precollege Reading, must register for the On-Line Precollege Reading through the Academic Success Center and must successfully complete the program within 10 weeks or prior to the start of the Fall 2017 semester; whichever comes first or
- Successfully complete an approved equivalent course to MSU’s Precollege Reading at another college (contact the Academic Success Center for course approval) during the Summer Session.
Once enrolled in reading program either at Montclair State University or at a local college, students will be permitted to tentatively register in fall coursework with the understanding that their eligibility to remain enrolled for fall will be determined by their successful completion of the course.
Failure by regularly admitted students to successfully complete this requirement by the end of the summer prior to their first semester at Montclair State will result in the rescinding of admission to the University and the cancelation of any active fall courses. Students will retain the right to reapply for admission once they have successfully completed an approved equivalent for Precollege Reading at a local college.
Students who are entering Montclair State in the spring semester and who are determined to need coursework in basic skills reading on the basis of placement test results MUST enroll in and successfully complete an On-Line Precollege Reading during the Winter Session or by successfully completing an approved equivalent course at a local college). Students, once enrolled in the appropriate reading course either at Montclair State University or at a local college, will be permitted to tentatively register in spring coursework with the understanding that their eligibility to remain enrolled for spring will be determined by their successful completion of the course.
Failure to successfully complete the designated course by the end of the winter session will result in the rescinding of admission to the University and the cancelation of any active spring courses. Students will retain the right to reapply for admission once they have successfully completed an approved equivalent for the designated course at a local college.