Guide to Completing your Degree
The Degree Works Degree Audit is the tool you'll use to track progress towards your degree. Information in the audit includes:
- previous courses you've taken at Montclair State and elsewhere
- the credits you've earned at Montclair State and elsewhere
- Montclair State courses you haven't taken that complete the degree requirements for your major
- Learning Aids for using the degree audit, including User Guides and videos, are available at the OneMontclair website. Click on the Learning Aids link to review guides for using the tools on NEST, Self-Service Banner and Degree Works.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Degree Audit
A comprehensive list of FAQs about the Degree Audit can be found at the “FAQ” tab in the upper left-hand corner of your Degree Audit.
What are the different parts of the audit?
- The top portion of the audit shows a variety of information including your class standing, advisor and gpa (first column), your college, major(s), and any minors or concentrations you may be pursuing (second column) and any holds you may have or programs you may belong to (third column). This column also links to important graduation and transfer policies that you are responsible for.
- The middle sections, or blocks, lay out the courses you have completed and need to complete to satisfy degree, major, minor, concentration, and teacher education requirements.
- The bottom area of the audit shows courses that do not fulfill specific requirements but may or may not be counting towards your degree. It also lists in-progress courses.
What is a waiver?
- All students with 15 or more transfer credits or an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree are exempt from New Student Seminar
- Students with an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associates of Science (AS) degrees from an NJ Community College are exempt from General Education (GENED 2002) requirements - the GENED requirements are "waived" and courses that would have counted towards those requirements show in the “Free Electives” block.
How do I know if my final transcripts have reached the Admissions office?
You are responsible for ensuring that your final transcripts reach Montclair State according to Admissions Office application guidelines.
Does the audit show if I need to complete a World Language requirement?
Yes. The audit will show if you have met the World Language requirements. The requirements are, specifically:
- two semesters of the same language at the introductory level (or equivalent transfer credits), for example, Spanish I and Spanish II or
- one semester of a language at the intermediate level (or equivalent transfer credits), for example, Spanish III or Spanish IV
What do I do with courses labeled DPT?
Courses listed as DPT (i.e. HIST DPT) on your audit may be reviewed for possible University equivalency.
- Review your audit; if you are begin asked to take a course you took at your transfer institution, it may be listed as a DPT. To have the DPT evaluation, get the course description from your transfer institution, and take it to the department the course is listed as here a Montclair State University. For example, if you see HIST DPT, this course can be evaluated by the history department.
How do I view at an audit for another major I am interested in?
This feature is known as the “What-If” audit. It allows you to see how your courses fit the requirements of another major. Click the “What-If” link on the left-hand side of your audit to select your program and major of interest. For further instructions, select the “How to Process a What-If Audit” tab at the top of the What-If page.