The Office of Equity and Diversity of Montclair State University will be a catalyst for change; creating and sustaining an inclusive, equitable society of intellectual and multiculturally competent future leaders.
Through student-focused education, advocacy, and engagement, the Office of Equity & Diversity supports the community in building and enhancing an inclusive campus climate at Montclair State University.
The Office of Equity & Diversity includes the following identity-based centers on campus: the Center for Faith and Spirituality, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Center, and the Women's Center. As a department, we collaborate with various Montclair State University community members to develop programs and initiatives that bring awareness to our campus community on issues of identity and inclusion. We also offer diversity and leadership conferences and events for students, faculty, and staff.
The Office of Equity & Diversity and all of its centers champion practices and programs rooted in social justice and intersectionality through the lenses of anti-racism and anti-oppression, and is committed to:
- Collaboration: We enhance our campus climate through ongoing consultation and community outreach with University administration, campus partners, student organizations, and outside organizations to develop more inclusive campus programs, services, and policies.
- Education: Through creative trainings and workshops, we serve as a hub for inclusive and innovative educational, personal, and professional development opportunities.
- Empowerment: As advocates, we intentionally strive to meet the needs and concerns of all members of the University community and help to empower students to be their full, authentic selves through a commitment to wellness, service, and support.
- Leadership: We develop influential student leaders who celebrate identity and exhibit civility, understanding, integrity, and the tenacity required to effectively challenge intolerance and promote acceptance within oneself and/or others.
- Support the developmental process, well-being, academic success, and retention of all marginalized populations
- Increase community awareness and promote a campus community that is inclusive of all identities while working to develop and celebrate allies
- Identify and advocate for inclusive campus programs, services, and policies
- Provide resources, programs, and experiences that support and expand student leadership development