G.I. Bill/Financial Aid

 The Veteran Certifying Official works closely with the Buffalo Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office to assist veterans and service members with educational benefit applications and the certification process. A step by step checklist (below) is available to assist you with the process.  You may also call the VA (toll free) at 1-888-442-4551 for questions concerning educational benefits/certification.


1. Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA).

2. Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website and review the various education benefits administered by the VA.

This website will provide:

If you are considering switching to the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), please be aware that it is an irrevocable decision when you elect to give up one of the other VA benefit programs (Chapter 30, 1606, 1607).

If you are unsure which program would best suit your needs, we suggest you contact the VA in writing. Montclair State University is unable to provide this type of advice because the VA determines each individual’s eligibility based on military records. We also suggest you keep a copy of their response for your records.

3. Visit the Veterans Online Application Website (VONAPP) to apply for benefits. If you have any questions when you are completing the form, please call the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

4. Once you receive your certification from the VA, make an appointment to see Mr. Kenneth Key, Veterans Certifying Officer for Montclair State University.

  • Mr. Key can be reached at 973-655-4462. His office is located in Webster 110.
  • Bring a copy of your certification and your DD214.

Any changes to your schedule must be immediately reported to Mr. Key. IMPORTANT: If you withdrawal from a course, you will be responsible for any overpayment made by the VA on your behalf.


Helpful Links:

College Navigator

College Scorecard

Paying for College


New Jersey Dream Act

On December 20, 2013, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed into law Senate Bill 2479 referred to as the New Jersey Dream Act.

The Law, now in effect, allows undocumented students who meet certain criteria to qualify for the in-state tuition rates at all of New Jersey’s public institutions of higher education.

If you would like to apply for in-state tuition under the Dream Act, please print and complete the Montclair State University In-State Tuition Request Affidavit. Additionally, please include a document with your full name, date of birth, current address, and the campus-wide identification number given when you begin an application.

Completed forms should be mailed to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ, 07043