After careful review and consideration of the recommendations made by the University Senate and the Student Government Association, new University policies on the use of all tobacco and similar products will be effective September 1, 2017.
The Division of Student Development and Campus Life carefully considered the information and advice contained in both the University Senate and Student Government Association recommendations, as well as the documented health risks associated with the use of tobacco products, both for the individual and those affected by secondhand smoke.
Current state law and University policy prohibit smoking, and/or the use of tobacco, vapor or similar products* inside any campus building. A plan for a phased elimination of the use of tobacco products on campus will be implemented as follows:
- Effective September 1, 2017, use of these products will be restricted on-campus to designated smoking areas which will be located at least 25 feet from all entries, outdoor air intakes and operable windows. (See map of designated smoking areas.)
- Permissible outdoor areas will be clearly marked and designated as such. Smoking, use of tobacco, tobacco products or vapor equipment will be prohibited outside of these areas.
- The Office of Health Promotion will prepare a series of programs and services for the campus community that will support and encourage tobacco cessation. These will last until full implementation of the policy on September 1, 2020. If deemed necessary at that time, additional programs will be established.
- The campus will become 100% smoke, tobacco and vapor product free on September 1, 2020.
This plan will require the commitment of all members of the University. We recognize that this will be a difficult transition for many individuals. We trust that smokers will be cooperative with this plan and that non-smokers will encourage, support, and help them locate designated smoking areas when necessary.
We all benefit from a campus community that is healthy in all its many forms. This plan enables us to take the steps necessary to help achieve that goal. We look forward to a healthy campus environment for all.
Dr. Karen L. Pennington
Vice President for Student Development and Campus Life
*Products include but are not limited to:
A. Smokeless Tobacco
- Oral tobacco – loose leaf plug or twist
- Spit and spitless
- Cigars, Cigarillos and Little Cigars
- Waterpipes, including hookah
- Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Vapor products and vaporizers (including JUUL)
- Dry herbs and wax
- Dissolvable tobacco
Please forward questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org