Photo of the Red Hawk statue.
News Students Can Use

Do I Need a PIN?

Be prepared for registration!

Posted in: Academic, Red Hawk Central News

Rocky the Red Hawk thinking about something with his hand on his beak.

Some Montclair State undergraduate students are required to meet with their academic advisor before they can register for the spring 2018 semester.

If academic advising is mandatory for you, your academic advisor will provide you with your own unique registration PIN that will enable you to register for courses in Banner, via NEST. This registration PIN is needed to unlock the system to you, and only you, to sign up for your classes.

Please note: Registration PINs are unique to a semester’s registration. PINs from previous semesters will not work when registering for spring 2018.

Who Needs A PIN?

The following undergraduate students must meet with their advisor to receive a registration PIN:

  • First-year students
  • Undeclared majors
  • Undergraduate students majoring in Anthropology or Earth and Environmental Sciences
  • Readmit students for spring 2018
  • Transfer students for spring 2018
  • Transfer Nutrition students admitted fall 2017

Additionally, students with priority registration will receive an “Alternate PIN” via email. Graduate Assistants will also receive a PIN for registration.

Note: Students who have priority registration AND are required to meet with their advisors, will receive a special PIN at their advisor visit.

Everyone Should See Their Advisor!

Academic advising is an important function of higher education. The role of advising is to guide you, the student, on how to transition to your learning environment and become the primary architect and executor of your own education plans. So, make an appointment today, and see your advisor!

If you don’t know who your advisor is, you can find this information in NEST:

  • Log into NEST using your University NetID and password. (
  • Navigate to the “Degree Audit” portlet.
  • Select the “Degree Works” link in this portlet.
  • In your Degree Audit, you can find your academic advisor(s) along with their contact information.
  • If no academic advisor is listed in this space and you have a major, please contact your academic department.