The Department of Religion welcomes Cornell Brooks to campus to share the wealth of experience he has gained as a trial attorney and champion for civil rights.
Where & When
- Wednesday, March 27
- 5:30-7 p.m.
- School of Communication and Media, Presentation Room
- Topic: “A Woke Democracy”
Brooks will discuss the links between education, social justice and a healthy and vibrant democratic community.
This is a free presentation/discussion, with time for Q&A.
Members of the campus community please RSVP today, on HawkSync.
Everyone else please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
A Leader in Social Justice
Before joining the faculty at Harvard, Mr. Brooks served as president & CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). For seven years (2007-14), his work was focused on Newark, where he served as president and CEO of the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice and led efforts to pass pioneering criminal justice reforms and fair housing legislation.
- Professor of Public Leadership and Social Justice at the Harvard Kennedy School
- Director of Harvard’s Collaborative for Social Justice
- Visiting Scholar at Harvard Divinity School
- Visiting Professor of Social Ethics, Law, & Justice Movements at Boston University
- Civil rights attorney and an ordained minister in the African Methodist Episcopal Church
- JD., Yale Law School, MDiv., Boston University School of Theology, BA, Jackson State University
This event is co-sponsored by the African American Studies Program and the President’s Commission on Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Diversity.