Hiring Student Employees This Fall or Spring?
Register for Upcoming Events!
On-Campus Supervisor’s Workshop
- Tuesday, August 6
- 10-11:30 a.m.
- Feliciano School of Business, Room 140
- RSVP Today!
This workshop is designed to assist on-campus supervisors who hire both Federal Work Study students (FWS) and/or Student Assistants (SA). Representatives from Financial Aid, CAPS and campus partners will be on hand to answer any questions you may have. Only one session will be offered.
Part-Time Student Job Fair
- Thursday, September 5
- 12-3 p.m.
- Student Center, Ballrooms
Each year, over 800 students attend the Part-Time Job Fair seeking on-campus student assistant (paid through your department budget) or Federal Work Study (paid through federal funding) positions. The fair is free to on-campus employers and lunch will be served. Register for a Table!
Why Hire Student Workers?
On-campus student employment in a win-win. Students can earn extra cash while gaining work experience and real-world skills. On-campus supervisors not only contribute to students’ professional development, but they increase productivity in their departments.
There are Two Types of On-campus Jobs
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a form of financial assistance provided to students through part-time employment.
Here is what you need to know about hiring a FWS student:
- FWS positions are federally funded for up to $1,500.00. Departments are only responsible for funding a FWS position once those funds have been exhausted.
- Departments can set a FWS position’s responsibilities, hours per week and wage. However, the position cannot exceed 20 hours per week and the wage must meet minimum wage requirements.
- Students must have FWS funds available to be eligible to apply for a FWS position.
- Learn How to Hire Student Workers through Workday.
Student Assistant is an on-campus, part-time job for students who do not qualify for FWS.
Here is what you need to know about hiring a student assistant:
- Student assistant positions are funded through your department’s budget.
- Student assistants cannot work in excess of 20 hours per week.
- To be eligible:
- Undergraduate students must maintain a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester
- Graduate students must maintain a minimum of six (6) credits per semester
- All students must maintain a 2.0 GPA
Contact Adam Mayer in the Center for Career Services at 973-655-7245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.