In 2017, the University announced an initiative to be 100% tobacco-free by September 2020 and placed temporary designated smoking areas around campus, marked clearly with a pole and red banner. All members of the University and visitors are required to only use tobacco products (which includes Juuling and other vaping products) within 10 feet of each designated location. Read the Full Tobacco-Free Policy.
Designated Smoking Areas
The following are a list of locations (and the projected removal dates) where members of the University and visitors are currently permitted to use non-restricted tobacco products:
To Be Removed by September 1, 2019
- Amphitheater in between Sprague Library and Alexander Kasser Theater along University Promenade
- Hawk Crossings between Falco Hall and Accipiter Hall
To Be Removed by January 2, 2020
- Machuga Heights at the bottom of the stairs in front of the center tower
- The Village at Little Falls in the parking lot island between Williams Hall and Sinatra Hall
To Be Removed by September 1, 2020
- Student Center along Webster Road near the Community Garden
- Feliciano School of Business in between the School of Business and Dickson Hall
- Lot 60 near University Facilities and Clinical Services off of Clove Road
The University will be smoke and tobacco free beginning in September 2020.
Ready to Reduce and Manage Your Nicotine Use?
Below are some FREE resources that are available for you to transition to a tobacco and smoke-free life!
Through funding from the New Jersey Department of Health, New Jersey residents now have access to 11 Quit Centers throughout the state. These quit centers provide residents of New Jersey with the resources to stop or reduce their tobacco use, including free smoking cessation services and nicotine replacement patches. Provided below is the contact information for local NJ Quit Centers near Montclair State University.
Hackensack Meridian Community Smoking Cessation Treatment Center (CSCTC)
- Passaic County & Hudson County
RWJBH IFPR Quit Center
- Essex, Union, Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth & Ocean Counties
Quit Telephone Line
NJ Quitline is a free multilingual telephone-counseling service for smokers who are ready to quit. Live counselors are available Monday- Friday, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Services are confidential and are at the convenience for the individual in need.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.