Co-Ops and internships provide you with an opportunity to experience the world of professional work and explore your career choices. In addition to developing and refining the career-readiness skills that make you a marketable job seeker, internships allow you to beef up your resume AND expand your professional network.
Why is it important to build your professional network? According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, at least 70% of all jobs are filled through networking. Co-Ops and internships can lead to new and exciting opportunities that may not have otherwise been available. According to a recent national survey of employers, an average 56% of interns convert to full-time hires.
Search for Spring and Summer Internships Today!
Thousands of employers use Hire a Red Hawk to recruit Montclair State University students! Searching for internships is easy and an account has already been generated for you. Simply log into your Hire a Red Hawk account via NEST, using your University NetID and password. Then,
- Click Jobs on your left-hand navigation
- Choose Search for Co-ops/Internships from the drop-down menu.*
*You must first upload your resume in Hire a Red Hawk to be reviewed and approved by your assigned Director of Career Services. Once approved, you will be able to apply for jobs and internships in the system.
Sample of Spring Internships
- BML Public Relations: Spring Intern (8543)
- VRR Media Production: Business Intern (8531)
- Gobe Interactive: Editorial Intern (8536)
- Center for the Digital Humanities (on-campus): GIS Intern (8524)
- Center for the Digital Humanities (on-campus): Grant Writing Intern (8525)
- Tempo Networks: Finance/Accounting Intern (8517)
- Tempo Networks: TV Production Intern (8515)
- Scarlett Showroom: Wholesale Intern (8514)
- Sublet.com: Website & Mobile App Quality Control Intern (8472)
To Apply to These Opportunities:
- Log into your Hire a Red Hawk account.
- Click Jobs > Search on the left hand navigation.
- Enter the posting number (listed next to the job title below) in the search bar and then click Search.
Special Interest Internships
Montclair State partners with organizations to offer expansive internship programs.
- The Washington Center: Intern in Washington DC and gain great experience working in areas such as government, health and human services, science, education, the arts, politics and public administration.
- The Disney College Program: A truly unique program that allows participants to network with leaders, take part in personal and career development classes and build transferable skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, guest service and effective communication.
Interested? Schedule an appointment with Anne Mercuro, Coordinator of Cooperative Education and Internships, to discuss eligibility and the application process.
Earn Academic Credit for Internships
If you and your internship meet the requirements for the University’s co-op program, you may be eligible to earn academic credit for your internship experience. You should work directly with the Career Services office in your school/college to determine if co-op is right for you. To get started, sign into your Hire a Red Hawk account, then:
- Schedule an appointment with your career services office.
- RSVP for an upcoming co-op/internship information session.
- Manual or Automatic: What Gears are Driving YOUR Career: New episodes every Thursday!
- T. Howard Foundation Info Session: Monday, October 28, 12-1 p.m., Student Center, Room 411.
- Amazon Info Session: Tuesday, October 29, 4-5 p.m., Center for Computing and Information Science, Room 133.
- Job Search Correspondence – Effective Strategies: Thursday, October 31, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Student Center, Room 417.
- Careers with Panasonic: Wednesday, November 6, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Feliciano School of Business, Room 101.