Get Experience. Get Paid. Get Hired!
Montclair State University is excited to announce a new opportunity for students to take part in short-term, professional, paid work experiences through Micro-Internships. These project-centered experiences are perfect for students with hectic or irregular schedules – most can be completed remotely, typically involve 10 to 40 hours of work and are deadline-driven as opposed to set during specific hours.
Micro-Internships are facilitated via the Parker Dewey platform, which connects Career Launchers (that’s you!) with companies in need of support. Students from all majors can execute professional assignments to build and demonstrate skills while exploring a variety of career paths. Set Up Your Profile through Parker Dewey and Start Applying Today!
Suitable – New Career Badge!
Career Services just launched our brand new Career and Professional Development digital badge in Suitable. The badge activities are designed to help students develop the skills and tools needed to succeed when entering the professional world. Students who complete four (4) of the achievements included in the Badge will have the opportunity to join Career Services for a year-end celebration.
- Achievement 1: Attend one (1) Montclair State University Career Fair or Event.
- Achievement 2: Complete Your Resume for Review in Handshake & Include a Screenshot of Your Submission in Handshake.
- Achievement 3: Complete the Focus-2 Online Self- Assessment (Career Services Assessment).
- Achievement 4: Select one (1) of 11 Career & Professional Development Electives.
Job Search Best Practices
With two upcoming Spring Career Fairs, a brand new Micro-Internship program and hundreds of available positions in Handshake, you may need a job search refresh. Don’t worry, we’ve got all the basics covered!
- Upload Your Resume for Feedback: Employers often formulate their first impression of you based on your resume. Make sure your resume is up-to-date by adding any new activities and experiences as well as skills and competencies you have gained or strengthened. Include relevant coursework and update your GPA! Then, upload your resume to Handshake for feedback from career services.
- Dress The Part: While it may seem like a minor detail, dressing professionally for career fairs and job interviews is a key piece of the puzzle. You can keep it simple and curate a professional outfit at little to no cost with University resources:
- Rocky’s Closet: Check out Rocky’s Closet for free professional work attire.They have a wide variety of professional clothing like, blazers, blouses, pants, skirts, dresses, shoes, accessories, ties and more!
- JCPenney Suit-Up Event: To receive an extra 30% off select career wear, shoes & accessories; text “Redhawk” to 67292.
- Don’t GHOST Prospective Employers: Hiring managers don’t like to be ghosted, personally or professionally. Tune into our podcast episode focused on communication practices to implement with an employer so you don’t disappear off their radar.
Don’t Forget to Register for our Spring Career Fairs!
Both Career Fairs will be in the University Hall Conference Center and both require registration in Handshake, links below. Don’t forget to bring plenty of copies of your resume with you as well.
- Business Job & Internship Fair: Thursday, February 23, 2-6 p.m.
- Career & Internship Fair: Wednesday, March 15, 1:30-4 p.m.
Active Internships in Handshake
- Content Marketing Internship at SIRIVISA creative
- Communications Intern – Public Affairs at Johns Hopkins University
- Research Center Intern at Children’s Specialized Hospital
- Software Engineering – Information Technology Intern at ISAFE Enterprises
- Gallery Educator Internship at Museum of Jewish Heritage
- Summer 2023 Molecular Assay Development Internship – Bristol Myers Squibb
- Social Media and Marketing Intern at Java Love Coffee Roasters
- Summer Store Management Internship at UNIQLO USA
- Public Relations Internship – AMC Networks, Inc.
- Apparel Design Internship at Nike, Inc.
Valley Bank – 2023 Valley Intern Program
- Join us for an information session with Valley Bank on Thursday, February 16 to learn about their paid summer internships, which are open to students from all majors. Food and beverages will be served! Please Register on Engage!
- Location: Feliciano School of Business, Room 140
- Time: 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Active Jobs in Handshake
- Speech Language Pathology at Bright Star Speech and Language Services
- Nuclear Officer Program at US Navy
- Child Care Provider – Before & After School Program – AlphaBEST Education Inc.
- Facilities Assistant – Hoboken Grace
- Camp Counselor at Camp Moosilauke
- Animal Care and Research Technician at Colgate-Palmolive
- Teacher 3 at NJ Department of Children and Families
- Radiology Technologist at HCA Healthcare
- Behaviorist – District Wide at Clifton School District
- Project Manager, National LGBTQIA+ Health Education Center at Fenway Health
- Marketing Assistant for Summer Arts Camp at Buck’s Rock Camp, Inc.
- DHS – Immigration & Customs Enforcement – Strategic Retention and Recruitment
- Communications Associate at The Durst Organization
- Graphic Designer at The Durst Organization
- Group Program Instructor at Metro YMCA of the Oranges
- Federal Work Study – Study Abroad Assistant Office of International Academic Initiatives
- Student Assistant – IT Service Desk Montclair State University – Division of Information Technology – IT Service Desk
- Federal Work Study – Gallery Attendant University Galleries
- Student Assistant: Peer Mentor – The Future College Graduate Institute: Newark High School Dual Enrollment Program
- Red Hawks Rising Success Coach – Montclair State University – Center for Academic Success and Tutoring
Career Resources on the Go
These resources are available to you 24/7!
- Focus-2 is a self-paced, online career and education planning tool designed to help you make decisions about career goals and education plans. You will be able to assess your values, skills and interests and explore career fields and major areas of study that are compatible with your assessment results. Learn More!
- On-Demand Workshops allow you to watch recorded webinars when it’s convenient for you. Need help writing your resume? Preparing for an upcoming interview? Our webinars cover a wide range of career development topics. Watch Now!
- Log into Handshake from your phone! Download the Handshake Jobs & Careers app to quickly search, filter and apply for jobs right from your phone! You can also use the app to schedule counseling appointments, RSVP to events and see career fair event details and booth maps, all while on the go! Download on App Store | Download on Google Play.