University Fellows are a dynamic team of undergraduate students who assist and support first-year students in all sections of GNED199 – New Student Seminar, the required course for first-year students. Each Student Success Fellow is assigned to one section of the New Student Seminar and works in collaboration with the instructor and the other Fellows.
Each University Fellow will be expected to facilitate small group discussions during class, assist with course instruction, provide support during course selection and registration, and serve as a referral resource for peers. Each University Fellow will have an average of 25 mentees and will be expected to commit to a minimum of three (3) hours of weekly responsibilities in this role. Other responsibilities may include support of college events, programs, and initiatives that may occur in the evenings or on the weekends.
Ideal University Fellows:
- Are patient and supportive of their peers.
- Enjoy public speaking and building relationships.
- Are comfortable with large and small group facilitation.
- Have a collaborative work style.
- Appreciate different learning styles, as well as diverse and inclusive environments.
- Are able to exercise careful, independent judgment, and can work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Are receptive to constructive feedback and seek help when needed.
- Have a strong academic background and desire to mentor first-year students.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75.
- GPAs will be verified at the time of application and at the end of each semester.
- Completion of at least one semester and 15 credits earned at Montclair State University.
- Successful completion of GNED 199 (New Student Seminar) with a B- or better.
- In good conduct standing at Montclair with an outcome of ‘Not Responsible’ for University Code of Conduct violations.
- Conduct history will be verified at the time of application and at the end of each semester.
- Ability to take the lead in supporting mentees through an ongoing one-to-one relationship and serve as a positive role model.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong work ethic.
- Desire to develop leadership skills and become a strong team member.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) or Google Suite, NEST, Navigate, Degree Works, HawkSync, and other student systems.
University Fellows are committed to one (1) academic year of service. This time commitment includes:
Mandatory Training and Meetings
- An introductory training session set for Wednesday, May 20, 2020 (tentative).
- A three (3) day Team Retreat scheduled for late August.
- Monthly in-service meetings focused on program updates and personal and professional development.
Expectations for the Fall Semester
- A minimum of three (3) hours per week inclusive of weekly 50-minute New Student Seminar class, meetings with your instructor(s), and interactions with your mentees.
- Support Montclair State and College/School programs and events that may occur in the evenings or on the weekends.
Expectations for the Spring Semester
- A minimum of eight (8) hours per month inclusive of support and participation in University and College/School’s programs and events, meetings with your assigned supervisor, and continued outreach to your cohort of mentees.
- Provide administrative and academic support to the planned activities and initiatives of the University Fellows program and your assigned College/School.
- An $800 book voucher for the academic year.
- A letter of recommendation from the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of University College at the successful completion of your service.
- A certificate of recognition at the successful completion of your service.
- Learn transferable skills that you can add to your resume and market to other employers.
- Networking and mentoring opportunity with Montclair State University, faculty, staff, and senior-level University administrators.
- Leadership experience.