Graphic of coronavirus

Student Information

Updates for Students

Commencement & Convocations Postponded – 3/23/20PASS/FAIL Grading Options – 3/23/20Academic Information – 3/20/20 ResLife Clarification – 3/19/20


Classes Will Resume

All of your classes this semester will continue beginning Monday, March 23, except courses that are already fully online, which will follow their original schedule, and School of Nursing courses, which will follow that School’s specific schedule.

[Addendum – Tuesday, March 17: All courses will move online.]


For advising help, contact your School or College’s advising office.

Commencement and Convocation

We know how important graduation ceremonies are to our students and their families, so we want you all to be assured that we are not canceling them, we are, of necessity, postponing them. Because of the current health crisis, it is simply not possible to say when or how we will have these celebrations. What we can say is that, once the end of the health crisis is in sight, we will put a plan in place to let the Class of 2020 know how proud we all are of their accomplishments and to provide the opportunity for the celebration that they deserve. See full message from Dr. Cole.

Computer Labs

Please also view our Information Technology FAQs for further assistance.

Greek Life

All student-run events are cancelled for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester. Please see the Student Organization Events tab for more information. Under no circumstances should you be gathering. Policies set forth by the Office of Greek Life are still in effect. Organizations found to be in violation of policies will be sanctioned or suspended accordingly. 


There will be no in-person intake events or initiations for the rest of the spring 2020 semester. For chapters with a new member process you must complete this Spring 2020 Intake Update form, regardless of the status of your process.

Chapters who need to continue their process have the following options:

  • Virtual Process

    • You can continue your process virtually. You may not host any in-person gatherings or initiations. If your calendar has changed, please submit a new document through the above form.

  • Holdover

    • For chapters who are not permitted to hold initiation virtually, you are permitted to holdover your potential new members to the fall semester. No summer processes will be permitted.
    • Note that you cannot hold two processes in the fall, so any potential new members held over until the fall can only be initiated in the fall. They are not to participate in any intake events other than initiation. Initiation must occur before any fall intake process can begin.

Greek Council

Greek Council will be held virtually via Zoom at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays. Greek Council reps are required to attend all scheduled meetings.

Health Center Appointments

Call first! Our phone number is: 973-655-4361, extension 3. You will be asked several questions about your symptoms, this helps us determine the kind of appointment you need.

We also request that any faculty or staff with flu like symptoms call their primary care provider or Occupational Health for evaluation.

The University Health Center is committed to your health and safety. As the Coronavirus continues to spread, we will continue to closely monitor the CDC and WHO websites to stay abreast of the situation and take necessary precautions for our community.

Please View more on the Health and Wellbeing Page

On-Campus Safety Precautions

Here are the University’s operating protocols:

  • The entire instructional program for the spring semester will be delivered 100% online or through other virtual methods. No student shall be required to come to campus for instructional purposes.
  • As of Sunday, March 21, the only campus dining options will be Sam’s Place, which will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. every day to serve resident students with “Fix Your Plate and Go” service, and The Student Center Convenience Store, which will provide “grab and go” service Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. All persons on the campus are required to follow the established guidelines to prevent spreading the virus. Adherence to the guidelines is not optional; it is mandatory. Stay at least six feet away from other people. See: Social Distancing Strategies.
  • Residence Hall: View information on the Student Information/Residence Life section.
  • Student organization activities are cancelled. Groups are encouraged to hold meetings through electronic methods.
  • Large conferences have been canceled.
  • We are requiring anyone who has come into close contact with a COVID-19 patient, traveled to another country, or disembarked from a cruise ship to self-quarantine for 14 days. See our FAQs for Travelers for details on this policy.
Postal Services

Postal Services remains open, but have modified hours. Please visit their website for up-to-date information.

For more information about refunds, please view our news article.

Deadline dates for tuition refunds have passed at this point in the semester. View Important Dates web page.

Residence Life

Thursday, March 19, 2020 

Notice to Vacate

COVID-19 has been a rapidly changing situation on campus and in light of the current climate in New Jersey, the University has decided that for the health and safety of the campus community, all students who do not have a legitimate reason to remain on campus (e.g., international or visiting students, this is your permanent residence, have inadequate resources outside of the University to complete academic work) are asked to remove all of their belongings from the residence halls and move to their place of permanent residence. All students must vacate their space and complete the check-out process with their building’s front desk or office by no later than 4 p.m. on Monday, March 23, 2020. While this decision was not made lightly, we feel this is the best decision to support the well-being and safety of our students.

Check-Out Schedule

Students are asked to follow the check-out schedule emailed yesterday specific to their residence hall assignment as best as possible. Check-outs can be completed throughout this weekend, as well as Monday, March 23, 2020. Failure to respond to the below survey, or move out of the residence halls by Monday, March 23, 2020, may result in improper check-out fees and lock change fees being applied to your student account.

Need To Stay?

As mentioned above, any student that does not have a safe and/or permanent residence, no method to travel home or does not have access to appropriate technology to support their online academic needs, must complete the survey below, regardless of if they have completed previous surveys to be considered to remain on campus. Housing Accommodation Survey.


At this time, the University is evaluating our students in need of housing and we will most likely consolidate to specific buildings on campus. We anticipate keeping students who live in apartment-style housing in an apartment building, and those who live in traditional-style housing in a traditional building. We will take into consideration recommendations for social distancing and other CDC and State Health Board guidelines.

Resident students are allowed in their own residence halls only. No guests are allowed. Violation of this policy will result in immediate conduct action that can jeopardize your student status.

What Happens if I Cannot Come to the Campus to Get my Belongings?

If you are unable to return at this time, please inform us when you can return. The University will do its best to secure your belongings in your space, however, due to limited occupancy and staff in the building, there will not be as many “eyes” available. Therefore, we cannot take responsibility for any belongings left behind.

I Am Currently Out of State, What Do I Do?

If it is not feasible for students to return to campus at this time, you may leave your belongings here and ask you to contact us with a date when you can come to retrieve your belongings. Due to limited occupancy and staff in the building, there will not be as many “eyes” available. Therefore, we cannot take responsibility for any belongings left behind.

I Cannot Make my Suggested Assigned Check-out Time, What Do I Do?

We are still asking students to come back either during their time or over the weekend, however, please keep in mind you may be asked to wait depending on the volume of foot traffic in the building to keep our residents and community as safe and secure as possible.

What Is the University Doing about Refunds for Room and Board?

As this is a rapidly changing situation, the University is in a discussion about refunds and as soon as we are able to, we will notify students with exact details accordingly.

Are We Clearing out the Buildings to Become Hospital Sites?

At this time, the University has not entered into discussions about the possibility of using our residential facilities for other purposes. However, as a state facility, we may be called to respond in ways that are unusual.

Are There Dining Locations Still Open?

The only campus dining options will be Sam’s Place, which will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. every day to serve resident students with “Fix Your Plate and Go” service, and The Student Center Convenience Store, which will provide “grab and go” service Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

If the Situation Changes Positively, Will I be Able to Return to my Space?

It is doubtful that the national situation will change before the end of the semester.

What if I Need Summer Housing Accommodations?

The University is prepared to offer students summer housing accommodations and information will become available to you at a later time.


Within the buildings, cleaning and hygiene are of great importance. To prevent transmission please wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, cough or sneeze into your elbow, and sanitize surfaces in your room. Housekeeping will sanitize common areas and high-touch items a minimum of three or four times per day. Hand sanitizer is available in common areas for your use. View important information about social distancing.

Student Employment

All student employment will remain available. Students are encouraged to contact their supervisor to discuss their schedules and work plan. Graduate Assistants should contact the Graduate School for additional information.

Student Organizations and Events

All in-person student organization events scheduled for the spring 2020 semester are cancelled.

Consider Virtual Events

Being socially distanced doesn’t have to mean disconnected!

Please consider how you can present your programs alternatively (Instagram live, Zoom, etc.).

  • This is a great opportunity to host educational workshops or host tutorials!

  • Host your general membership meetings or executive board meetings at their regularly scheduled time.

  • Engage your membership and the campus community through social media.
  • Hold elections through your HawkSync platform or Google forms.
  • Hold virtual hangouts, meetups, “family dinners” or watch parties.

University Event Updates

The University also is maintaining a News item listing information about upcoming University events, canceled and still on schedule. View: COVID-19 Response: Event Updates.

Last Modified: Thursday, March 26, 2020 5:29 pm