The lights in a row outside of the School of Nursing.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I waive the insurance the school has charged me on my tuition bill?

A: You can waive your health insurance on the online waiver website. For more information please visit the Health Insurance website.

2. Do I have to have the school insurance to use the University Health Center?

A: You do not need to have the insurance plan provided by the school to use our services. We ask that you bring a copy of your insurance card in the event we need to order any services provided outside of our facility.

3. I can’t find my immunization record. Where can I obtain a copy?

A: Immunization records can be obtained from a private provider (pediatrician), a high school or another university/college or military records. Any official documentation of vaccines is acceptable (yellow book) etc. Additionally, if you lived in New Jersey you may be able to obtain records from the New Jersey Immunization Information Service.

4. Do I need an appointment to be seen or can I just walk in?

A: We ask that you call to make an appointment (973-655-4361) so that we can schedule you with an appropriate provider.

5. I have private health insurance and have a problem that would cause me great difficulty should my parents see that a claim was submitted to the insurance company. What can I do?

We understand that this will happen from time to time and have built-in mechanisms to handle this for you. Please speak with your provider or our Front Desk staff about your specific concerns.

6. Would I be seeing a doctor if I go to Health Services?

A Nurse Practitioner would most likely see you. Our staff consists of a part-time Board Certified Family Practice Physician, and five Board Certified Nurse Practitioners. Nurse Practitioners can examine, diagnose and treat patients as well as prescribe medications and treatments. One of the Nurse Practitioners specializes in Women’s Health.

7. How can I tell if I need counseling?

A: You can make an appointment at the Counseling and Psychological Services by or you can visit one of the many “Let’s Talk” sessions held in multiple places on campus.

8. I feel sick and the Health Center is closed, what can I do?

A: If the office is closed, there are a few options available to you:

  • If you have a medical or psychological emergency – call 911. University EMS will respond to your call.
  • If it’s Saturday, the University Health Center is open 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. most Saturdays (not all) during the semester. Call our office at 973-655-4361 to make an appointment.
  • For minor illness and minor injuries you have a few options:
    • You can call the phone number on the back of your health insurance card, you may be directed to a facility which you can be assured will be covered by your insurance.
    • You can also go to a retail health facility such as CVS Minute Clinic or ImmediCenter.
    • For more serious illnesses or injuries, you may consider going to a local hospital. Below are a few options:
      • Mountainside Medical Center – Montclair, NJ
      • St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center – Paterson, NJ
      • St. Barnabas Medical Center – Livingston, NJ
      • The Valley Hospital – Ridgewood, NJ
      • Hackensack University Medical Center – Hackensack, NJ