The Veteran Certifying Official works closely with the Buffalo Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office to assist veterans and service members with educational benefit applications and the certification process. A step by step checklist (below) is available to assist you with the process.
You may also call the VA (toll-free) at 1-888-442-4551 for questions concerning educational benefits/certification.
- Activate your Montclair State email account: Students who are using the G.I. Bill will be notified by email each time information is transmitted to the VA. This information will go directly to your Montclair State email. If the information is not correct, please contact the Certifying Official as soon as possible.
- Activate the G.I. Bill by visiting va.gov. You should also activate your eBenefits account; this account will give you updated information on remaining monthly benefits. If this is the first time using the G.I. Bill, you should complete VAF 22-1990. If you are a member of the National Guard or Reserve this form should also be used. If you have used the G.I. Bill in the past VAF 22-1995 should be completed.
- The VA should send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Please send a copy of this form to the Certifying Official with a copy of your DD214 or a copy of your NOBE for National Guard and Reserve students.
- If you are using the National Guard waiver, you need to give us a signed copy of your Commanders Certification. Remember, in order to receive the waiver you must have a current FAFSA 2018-2019 on file. We will need a commander’s certification for each semester you are attending.
- There will be two phases in certifying you for the G.I. Bill. Initially, your credits will be transmitted to the VA and a notification will go to the Student Accounts Office (located in Red Hawk Central) informing them of what percentage of tuition and fees the VA will pay. Second, the Student Accounts Office will credit the amount of your tuition and fees so you will not be charged a late fee. The last day to add/drop your certification will be amended to include T/F. Remember, if you are not entitled to payment of the full amount of your tuition and fees by the VA, you must pay the remaining balance as soon as possible. If you cannot pay your outstanding balance, you can use Financial Aid if you receive it, or set up a payment plan. If you have an outstanding balance and it is not paid, you will be charged a late fee. The student must file a late fee appeal.
- Remember, if you just activated your G.I. Bill it could take four to six weeks to process. It may take a little less time. You can contact the VA to ask when you will receive the monthly BAH or monthly stipend. Be aware that your VA File number is the same as your social security number. The VA toll-free Number is 1-855-442-4551.
All full-time students at Montclair State are required to have health insurance. If you do not fill out the waiver form (available online via NEST) you will automatically be enrolled and charged. If you are a student veteran and are enrolled with the VA you can use the VA as your health insurance. You can find your Plan ID & Member ID on the ID card you receive after your enroll. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Jon Gubitosi at email@example.com.