My current research agenda is shaped by a desire to strengthen the structures that support equitable and effective secondary science education in a variety of contexts. This is important because many reform efforts concerned with equity often seem to bypass secondary school teachers—and this is a situation I would like to address in my work. This agenda follows six thematic strands:
1. Science Teacher learning and practice
2. Probabilistic thinking in science teacher cognition
3. Culturally relevant high school science teaching
4. Pathways into science teaching
5. Assessing quality science teaching and science teacher education
6. High school science departments as sites for science education reform.
Science Teacher Education: Examining how knowledge for teaching develops in science teachers.
Multicultural Science Education: Finding connections between subject matter and student diversity.
Teacher Quality: Exploring the rapidly growing field of teacher quality indicators with a critical perspective.
Teacher Education Programs: Understanding the features of high-quality teacher education for multiple contexts.
I am also currently involved with two different programs that are designed to offer high-quality science & math teacher preparation for urban schools: The Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship program, and the Robert Noyce Teaching Scholarship program.
I am currently co-PI along with Dr. Sandra Adams (PI) from the Dept. of Biology and Molecular Biology on a $1.4M grant from the National Science Foundation for the Noyce Teaching Scholarship program, which will fund two years of study for 30 prospective science teachers who agree to teach for four years in a high need school in New Jersey.
- Monday 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Friday 12:00 pm - 2:15 pm
- Thursday 12:45 pm - 3:45 pm
- Deep Knowledge: Learning to Teach Science for Understanding and Equity (Teacher's College Press, 2013)
- Teacher Quality Assessment (Wikipedia page created by TETD 807 class)
- MSU Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program
- Woodrow Wilson Teaching Fellowship program
- Newark-Montclair Urban Teacher Residency Program
- Publications (via Research Gate)