The Veteran and Military Resource Office is committed to supporting our students who are called to active duty service.
*Please note, if you are aware of an activation prior to the beginning of the semester contact the Veteran and Military Resource Office to discuss your options.
If you are activated mid semester, please see the check list below.
- Notify Professors, Departments and/or Deans as soon as possible and set up a meeting to discuss course requirements.
- Provide a copy of your orders ASAP to the Veteran and Military Resource Office. We are also here to discuss options around completion or withdrawal from classes.
- Contact Financial Aid regarding the status of your aid and or/loans.
- Cancel meal plans or housing if applicable.
- Please keep in mind that internet access may be limited at your location. This will impact your ability to continue with your classes.
Veteran and Military Resource Office
973-655-3278 or 4462
Red Hawk Central (Registrar, Financial Aid & Student Accounts)
Please see the below policy which provides faculty guidance as to options and responsibilities when working with students called to active military service. This policy is in accordance with New Jersey State Law N.J.S.A. 18A:62-4.2.
MILITARY LEAVE, ACADEMIC CREDIT AND TUITION REFUNDS – UNDERGRADUATE AND
A. Montclair State University will act in accordance with State Law
N.J.S.A. 18A:62-4.2, which sets forth the options available to a student at a New Jersey
public institution of higher education who is unable to complete a course because the
student is called to partial or full mobilization for State or federal active duty as a member
of the National Guard or a Reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States
with respect to the student’s grade for the course and the availability of refunds.
B. A student who has completed at least eight weeks of attendance in a course may choose
(1) receive a letter grade; or
(2) receive a grade of pass or fail; or
(3) receive a grade of incomplete; or
(4) withdraw from the course.
C. A student who has completed less than eight weeks of attendance in a course may
(1) receive a grade of incomplete; or
(2) withdraw from the course.
D. A letter grade or a grade of pass shall only be awarded if, in the opinion of the faculty
member teaching the course, the student has completed sufficient work, and there is
sufficient evidence of progress toward meeting the requirements of the course, to justify
E. A grade of incomplete shall remain valid for a period of one year after the student returns
to the New Jersey public institution of higher education.
F. A student who chooses to accept a grade of pass or fail may, within one year after
returning to the New Jersey public institution of higher education, receive a letter grade
for the course by completing the work required for the course, in which case the letter
grade shall replace the pass or fail grade as the student’s grade for the course.
G. A student who chooses to withdraw from a course shall receive a full refund of tuition and
fees attributable to that course.
H. A student who has paid amounts for room, board or fees shall, except as provided in
subsection G of this section, receive a refund of that portion of those amounts attributable
to the time period during which the student did not use the services for which payment
I. Any refund payable to a student who is a financial aid recipient shall be subject to the
applicable State and federal regulations regarding refunds.