Photo of University Hall

Coursework At Another Institution – Undergraduate

About This Policy

Responsible Office
Academic Affairs

The following policy applies to Undergraduate students only. Graduate students should contact The Graduate School.

Undergraduate students currently enrolled at Montclair State University may request to take coursework at another institution by initiating a Request to Complete Coursework at Another Institution. In order to confirm equivalency when taking coursework at another institution, students are strongly encouraged to receive full prior-approval, including approval of course equivalency from the Chairperson of the Department offering the equivalent course, and the Chairperson of the student’s major Department. When planning to take coursework at another institution, students are also encouraged to consult with an advisor and follow the policies below:

  • A course is approved as equivalent by a review of its suitability by the chair or director of the department offering the course. A course is approved as appropriate for the major curriculum by the student’s major chair or director.
  • Students looking to repeat coursework at another institution that they have already taken at Montclair should refer to the Course Repeat policy.
  • Coursework will be accepted by Montclair provided the student earns a grade of C- or higher at another institution. Please note certain programs require a C or better to move forward in their curriculum.
  • No more than 60 credits from two-year colleges can be applied to the baccalaureate degree.
  • Students who have transferred the maximum from two-year institutions may still transfer in credit from a four-year institution with approval.
  • Courses transferred from a two-year institution cannot be considered equivalent to 300/400 level courses at MSU.
  • In order to graduate, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits at Montclair.

Financial aid recipients planning to use federal aid for coursework to be taken at another institution must contact Red Hawk Central for guidelines, restrictions and completion of a Consortium Agreement form (if needed).

Taking coursework at another institution may impact Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) eligibility requirements for financial aid.

Upon completion of the coursework and posting of credit, it is the student’s responsibility to request an official transcript from the institution where the coursework was completed to be sent to the Office of the Registrar at Montclair State University.

View Academic PoliciesView Academic Affairs PoliciesView Student PoliciesView All Policies