Photo of University Hall

Grading Standards

About This Policy

Responsible Office
Academic Affairs

Upon the recommendation of the University Senate, the University Curriculum Committee and the Deans’ Council, beginning in the fall 1989 semester, the University’s grading system was modified to include a plus/minus option.

The current grading scale is as follows:

A = 4.0 B    =   3.0 C    =   2.0 D  =  1.0
A- = 3.7 B-   =   2.7 C-   =   1.7 D- =  0.7
B+ = 3.3 C+ =  2.3 D+ =  1.3 F    =   0.0

All standards for retention, graduation, transfer credits, Dean’s List, and graduation honors remain unchanged for undergraduate students.

Upon the recommendation of the Graduate Council, the grading system for graduate courses is as follows:

A = 4.0 B  =  3.0 C  =  2.0
A- = 3.7 B- =  2.7 C- =  1.7
B+ = 3.3 C+ =  2.3 F  =  0.0

As initiated by the Graduate Council and authorized for implementation by the Provost in fall 2001, the grade “IP” (In Progress) is used for master’s and doctoral thesis courses while they are being conducted.

All other standards for retention and graduation established by the Graduate Council remain unchanged. To remain in good standing, graduate students must maintain a 3.000 GPA. (Section V–Retention and Termination, Part A “Grade Point Average,” p. V-1, Graduate Policy Manual.)  By separate action of the Graduate Council and Deans’ Council, the grades of “D+, D, D-” for graduate students in graduate courses have been eliminated effective fall 1989.

The mark “F” signifies (1) academic failure; (2) failure of the student to submit written notice of withdrawal or (3) withdrawal after the midpoint in the semester.  The mark “WD” is given to those who withdraw online through NEST or who submit, in writing, to the Office of the Registrar, their intention of withdrawing from a course before the withdrawal deadline.

The grade “IN” is intended to indicate that the student has not completed some portion of the course and that a grade is being withheld until the work is performed and approved. It is not intended to allow the student to repeat the entire course during the next semester.  It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the instructor to complete the required work.  Students must enter into a formal contract with the faculty prior to the end of the semester using the form available on the Office of the Registrar website. The “IN,” if not replaced with a final grade by February 15th for fall incompletes, June 30th for spring and October 15th for summer, will become an “F”.  Exceptions can be granted only upon petition to the appropriate College or School Dean, via the Request for Extension of Incomplete Grade form to be submitted by the faculty to the Office of the Registrar.

A change of grade request from other than an “IN” grade must be processed by faculty, approved by Department Chair and College or School Dean, and forwarded to the Registrar no later than the end of the next full semester following the semester in which the grade was earned.  Note that no changes will be made to the academic record beyond 30 days of the student’s conferment/graduation date.

For purposes of determining the grade point average (GPA) for graduation, academic honors, Dean’s List, academic probation, academic furlough, suspension and dismissal, and all other situations which require a specific GPA, Montclair State University maintains GPAs to three decimal places.  No additional rounding will occur.

View Academic PoliciesView Academic Affairs PoliciesView All Policies