Photo of University Hall

Medical Withdrawal Policy

About This Policy

Responsible Office
Student Development Campus Life

Montclair State University students who experience physical, psychological and/or other extenuating circumstances that substantially impair their ability to function successfully or safely as a student may be eligible for a medical withdrawal.

Dropping all classes for the semester does not constitute a medical withdrawal. A medical withdrawal determination will be based on an evaluation by a Montclair State University clinician or in consultation with an off-campus treatment provider regarding the severity and onset of the mental or physical condition, and its impact on the student’s ability to attend classes and perform academically during such condition, or after requested reasonable accommodations have been provided by the University. It is expected that time away from the University will be used for treatment and recovery.

International Students

Students in F-1 or J-1 Visa status should consult the Office of Global Engagement prior to requesting a medical withdrawal to determine the effect on his/her legal immigration status. The office is located in Cole Hall, Suite 148.

Telephone: 973-655-6862
Website: Office of Global Engagement

Students considering a medical withdrawal should

  1. Contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 973-655-5211 or the Student Health Center (SHC) at 973-655-4361 and request an evaluation. The student will be expected to meet with an appropriate CAPS or UHC clinician. Students affiliated with the Disability Resource Center (DRC) may also contact the DRC at 973-655-5431 when considering a medical withdrawal. CAPS or UHC will coordinate with the DRC, if requested by the student.
  2. If the student has received treatment from an off-campus treatment provider, the student must provide consent for CAPS, UHC or DRC to consult with the off-campus treatment provider. If the student was evaluated and treated off-campus, CAPS, UHC or DRC will require medical record documentation or a detailed letter from the off-campus treatment provider stating:
    • Diagnosis
    • Date of onset
    • Effect of medical condition on your ability to perform academically
    • Prognosis
    • Treatment plan
    • Time frame for treatment and recovery
  3. After a review of all of the medical documentation CAPS, UHC or DRC will make a recommendation to the Dean or Associate Dean of Students for a full or partial medical withdrawal in the current semester. Medical withdrawals will only be granted in a current semester and will not be approved retroactively. The Dean or Associate Dean will notify the student in writing of an approved full or partial medical withdrawal. A full medical withdrawal will require that all semester courses are *withdrawn or *dropped. A partial medical withdrawal will require that only some semester courses are *withdrawn or *dropped. Courses that are withdrawn will be noted as WD on the student’s transcript; courses that are dropped will not appear on the transcript.
  4. Deadline for submission is six (6) business days prior to the end of the semester. View the Important Dates web page for academic calendar information.

NOTE: An approved medical withdrawal does not constitute a tuition refund or adjustment. There may be a financial implication in getting a medical withdrawal.  Please contact the Dean of Students, Student Accounts, and/or Financial Aid Office before initiating your medical withdrawal paperwork.

If the student is a resident and is approved for a full medical withdrawal (all semester courses are withdrawn or dropped), the student must vacate and return all keys to University housing within 24 hours of notification.

View Student PoliciesView Student Development Campus Life PoliciesView All Policies