About This Policy
Current state law and University policy prohibits smoking and/or use of tobacco, vapor or similar products inside any campus building.
Effective Friday, September 1, 2017, use of all tobacco products are restricted to on-campus designated smoking areas which are located at least 25 feet from all entries, outdoor air intakes and operable windows. Tobacco products should only be used within 10 feet of each designated location.
List of Designated Smoking Areas
- Machuga Heights at the bottom of the stairs in front of the center tower
- Student Center, near the crosswalk by Webster Hall and Lot 17
- Village in the parking lot island between Williams Hall and Sinatra
- Feliciano School of Business near Dickson Hall
- Center for Clinical Services, in Lot 60 off of Clove Road
Designated Smoking Areas
By September 2020, Montclair State will be a tobacco-free campus. View a list of locations (and the projected removal dates) where members of the University and visitors are currently permitted to use non-restricted tobacco products: View Designated Smoking Areas on Campus.
Any member of the campus community may ask an individual to comply with the provisions of this regulation.
Please Note: Any individual who fails to comply with state and/or federal law (ie: smoking indoors) is subject to a fine as determined by the local court where the summons is filed.
Oral tobacco – loose leaf plug or twist
- Spit and spitless
Cigars, Cigarillos and Little Cigars
Waterpipes, including hookah
Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Vapor products and vaporizers (including JUUL)
- Dry herbs and wax