Tuition Waiver Policy: Dependent Children, Spouses and Parties to a Civil Union (PBA)
About This Policy
The employee must first satisfy each of the following criteria:
- The employee must be employed in a position in the PBA bargaining unit at Montclair State University.
- The employee must have been employed in a position in the PBA bargaining unit at Montclair State University for a minimum of five years prior to the start of the first day of the semester in which the applicant is to commence undergraduate education at the University.
- The employee must continue employment in a position in the PBA bargaining unit at Montclair State University for the entire period during which the applicant is a beneficiary of the tuition waiver program. If the employee fails to maintain employment in the PBA bargaining unit, the tuition waiver will cease at the end of the academic semester in which the employee’s status changed.
- Should an employee whose dependent child or spouse is receiving tuition waiver benefits in accordance with this program become deceased while employed in a position within the PBA bargaining unit at Montclair State University, the dependent child or spouse shall be eligible to continue to receive the tuition waiver benefit as though the employee remained in employment status until such time as they complete their baccalaureate degree.
In order for the Applicant to participate in the tuition waiver program, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The Applicant must be pursuing his/her first baccalaureate degree.
- The Applicant must meet Montclair State University’s criteria for admission.
- Eligibility for the benefit is available to those who maintain either part or full-time matriculated status.
- The Applicant, if a child, must maintain dependent status for each semester.
- If the applicant is a child, the child must be twenty-three (23) years of age or younger and the employee must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate to verify the child’s age.
- If the applicant is a spouse or party to a civil union, the applicant must submit documentation verifying the applicant’s connection to the employee.
- The Applicant must submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The Applicant must maintain good academic standing in accordance with University policy for all credits waived. If the grade requirements are not met, the student and/or employee are responsible to reimburse the University and no further waiver will be granted until full reimbursement has been made.
If all eligibility requirements are not met, the student and/or employee are responsible to reimburse Montclair State University and no further waivers will be granted until full reimbursement has been made.
Provisions of the Program
- Tuition waivers are applicable in the fall and spring semesters as well as the summer session.
- Waivers are for tuition only. All other fees and costs are the responsibility of the Applicant.
- Any taxes due on the tuition waiver benefit are the responsibility of the Applicant/employee.
- The tuition waiver will be reduced by the amount of financial aid provided under the State Tuition Aid Grant Program, the Federal Pell Grants and any scholarship funds provided to the student, Such reduction will be made prior to the application of tuition waiver. No reduction will be made for any loans or work/study funds which accrue to the student.
- The University shall waive 40% of the Applicant’s tuition not covered by scholarships or grants in a program leading to the first baccalaureate degree up to the number of credits required by the degree program for graduation.