View Profile Page
- School of Business 534
- BS, St. Xavier's College (India)
- MS, Indian Statistical Institute (India)
- MA, Cornell University
- PhD, Cornell University
- Download vCard
Vidya Atal is a Professor in the Department of Economics at Montclair State University. She holds a Master's and a Ph.D. degree in economics from Cornell University. Earlier, she received a Master's degree in quantitative economics from Indian Statistical Institute.
Her research interests include studying various topics of Industrial Organization, for example, the patent policies in the United States, open source software licensing, firms' strategies while in the patent-race or studying their investment decisions in R&D. In addition, she finds several topics in Development Economics very interesting, like women's empowerment, intra-household bargaining, gender gap, etc.
Dr. Atal’s research articles have been published in some of the top-tier peer-review journals in economics. To name a few, they are: Games and Economic Behavior, The Journal of Industrial Economics, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Review of Economics of the Household, Economics Letters, Economics Bulletin, and B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy. She has presented her research in several national and international conferences, like the International Industrial Organization Conference and the Royal Economic Society Annual Conference.
Fields: Development Economics, Industrial Organization, Game Theory
Topics: Women's empowerment, Gender inequality, Economics of R&D, Economics of open source resources, Patent system
- "Deferred Examination," with Talia Bar.
- "Gender Wage Equality and Women's Empowerment."
- "Strategic Open Source Licensing and Software Market Entry," with Kameshwari Shankar.
- "The Pro-Cyclical Unemployment Gender Gap: A Household Occupational Portfolio Choice?" with Orkideh Gharehgozli and Luis San Vicente Portes
- "Two Phase Innovation Research Funding," with Talia Bar.
- "Why the Future used to be Brighter? An Economic Interpretation," with Alexandra Zaby.
- Special Advisor to the Provost for Curriculum Affairs, Montclair State University (2022 - Present)
- Professor of Economics, Montclair State University (2021 - Present)
- Associate Professor of Economics, Montclair State University (2015 - 2021)
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Montclair State University (2010 - 2015)
- Teaching Assistant, Cornell University (2006 - 2010)
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Research Award, Clute Institute (March 2016)
- Engaged Teaching Fellowship, Research Academy for University Learning, Montclair State University ( 2014)
- Faculty Honoree, Beta Gamma Sigma ( 2012)
- Sage Fellowship, ( 2005)
Refereed Published Articles
- V. Atal, O. Gharehgozli, L. San Vicente Portes (2022). Higher Labour Market Bargaining Power, Higher Unemployment in Recessions. Applied Economics Letters
- O. Gharehgozli, V. Atal (2021). Gender Wage Gap: Within and Across Borders. Studies in Business and Economics
- O. Gharehgozli, V. Atal (2021). A Simple Measure to Study Multinational In-come Inequality. Review of Economic Perspectives
- O. Gharehgozli, V. Atal (2020). "Big Mac Affordability" and Real Income Inequality Across Countries. Applied Economics Letters
- O. Gharehgozli, V. Atal (2020). Revisiting the Gender Wage Gap in the United States. Economic Analysis and Policy
- L. San Vicente Portes, V. Atal, M. Juarez Torres (2019). Women's Empowerment: Aggregate Effects on Savings and Wealth. Banco de México Documentos de Investigación
- L. San Vicente Portes, V. Atal, M. Juarez Torres (2019). From Households to National Statistics: Macroeconomic Effects of Women's Empowerment. Economic Modelling
- V. Atal (2017). Say at Home, or Stay at Home? Policy Implications on Female Labor Supply and Power. Review of Economics of The Household
- V. Atal, K. Shankar (2016). Open Questions in Open Source: Exploring Incentives, Licenses and Competition. Economics Bulletin
- V. Atal, T. Bar, S. Gordon (2016). Project Selection: Commitment and Competition. Games and Economic Behavior
- V. Atal, K. Shankar (2015). Developers’ Incentives and Open Source Software Licensing: GPL vs. BSD. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy
- V. Atal, K. Shankar (2014). Open Source Software: Competition with A Public Good. Atlantic Economic Journal
- V. Atal, T. Bar (2014). Patent Quality and A Two-Tiered Patent System. Journal of Industrial Economics
- V. Atal (2014). The Big Mac Index and Real-Income Disparity. Journal of Business and Economics Research
- L. San Vicente Portes, V. Atal (2014). The Big Mac Index: A Shortcut To Inflation And Exchange Rate Dynamics? Price Tracking And Predictive Properties. International Business and Economics Research Journal
- V. Atal, R. Dubey (2014). Affirmative Action and Empowerment: Friends or Foes?. Economics Bulletin
- V. Atal, T. Bar (2010). Prior Art- To Search or Not to Search. International Journal of Industrial Organization
- V. Atal (2010). Do Journals Accept Too Many Papers?. Economics Letters
- V. Atal, K. Basu, J. Gray, T. Lee (2010). Literacy Traps: Society-wide Education and Individual Skill Premia. International Journal of Economic Theory
- V. Atal, K. Shankar (5s). 2013. Developers’ Incentives and Open Source Software Licensing: GPL vs. BSD Academy of Business Research
Books & Chapters
- V. Atal (2012). Tax Policies, Female Labor Force Participation and Women’s Empowerment. Economic Empowerment for Women: A Global Perspective (M. Lownes-Jackson and R. Guy ed.), Informing Science Press
- V. Atal, L. San Vicente Portes (2012). Women’s Empowerment and Households’ Consumption-Savings Decisions. Economic Empowerment for Women: A Global Perspective (M. Lownes-Jackson and R. Guy ed.), Informing Science Press