View Profile Page
Dr. Elizabeth J. Erwin is Professor at Montclair State University in the Department of Teaching and Learning where she prepares graduate and doctoral students to think critically, reflect deeply and teach inclusively. Over the past 30 years, her academic career has reflected a solid commitment to equity, innovation, and excellence for young children with disabilities and their families. Early work in this area was shaped by answering questions about “why” inclusive education matters, but has shifted over the years to focus on “how” to promote inclusive, just, and mindful school communities for young learners across a range of human variation.
Dr. Erwin's work continues to be firmly grounded in a social action framework, aimed at transforming limiting beliefs, exclusionary practices and systemic injustices - locally, nationally, and globally. Current themes that spark Dr. Erwin's interest in new projects as well as those currently in varying stages of development are: Inclusive Communities/Inclusive Teaching, Well-Being/Mindfulness, and Innovations in Research/Reflective Inquiry.
As the author of multiple books and chapters, Dr. Erwin is also published widely in prestigious academic journals. Her latest book "The Power of Presence" focuses on mindfulness practices and early childhood education from a social action lens about partnering with children to promote justice in the world and peace within. Across the United Stated and internationally, Dr. Erwin continues to speak regularly at professional conferences, meetings, and summits. Elizabeth currently lives in New York City where she practices yoga and meditation every day.
- Early childhood education
- Inclusive teaching and reflective inquiry
- Well-being and contemplative/mindfulness practices in education
- Family-professional partnerships
- Self-determination and young children with disabilities
- International partnerships and projects to support inclusive education
- Erwin, E.J., Bacon, J. K., & Lalvani, P. (2021). It’s about time! Advancing justice through joyful inquiry with young children. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 1-12.
- Erwin, E. J. (2017). Transparency in early childhood education: What the west can learn from Australia's focus on well-being. Global Education Review, 4 (3), 56-69.
- Erwin, E.J., Robinson, K., & Aveta, D. (2017). Being present: An exploratory study on the use of mindfulness in early childhood. The International Journal of Holistic Early Learning and Development, 4, 1-17.
- Erwin, E. J., Robinson, K., McGrath, G., & Harney, C. (2015). "It's like breathing in blue skies and breathing out stormy clouds:" Mindfulness practices in early childhood. Young Exceptional Children.
- Erwin, E. J., Maude, S. P., Palmer, S. B., Summers, J.A., Brotherson, M. J., Haines, S. & Peck, N. F. (2015). Fostering the foundations for early childhood self-determination: A process for enhancing child outcomes across home and school. Early Childho
- Erwin, E.J. & Robinson, K. R. (2015): The joy of being: making way for young children's natural mindfulness, Early Child Development and Care, DOI:10.1080/03004430.2015.1029468
- Puig, V.I., Erwin, E.J., Evenson, T.L., & Beresford, M. (2015). It's a two-way street: Examining how trust diversity and contradiction influence a sense of community. Journal of Research in Childhood Education.29:2, 187-201, DOI: 10.1080/02568543.2015.100
- Summers, J. A., Brotherson, M.J., Erwin, E. J., Maude, S. P., Palmer, S. B., Haines, S.J., Stroup, V., Wu, H., Peck, N. F. & Zheng, Y. Z. (2014). Family reflections on the foundations of self-determination in early childhood. Special Issue on Inclusion, I
- Palmer, S.B., Summers, J. A., Brotherson, M.J., Erwin, E.J., Maude, S., Stroup-Rentier,V., Hsaing-Yi, W., Peck, N., Zheng, Y. Weigel, C., McGrath, G., & Haines, S. (2013). Foundation for self-determination in early childhood: An inclusive model for child
- Erwin, E.J., Puig, V. I., Evenson, T. L. & Beresford, M. (2012). Community and connection in inclusive early childhood education: A participatory action research investigation. Young Exceptional Children. 15(4), 1-12.
- Erwin, E.J., Brotherson, M.J.& Summers, J.A. (2011). Understanding qualitative meta-synthesis. Issues and opportunities in early childhood intervention research. Journal of Early Intervention. 33(3), 186-200.
- Maude, S.P.,Brotherson, M. J., Erwin, E.J., Summers, J. A., Palmer, S., Peck, N. F., Zheng, Y., Kruse, A. & Haines, S.J. (2011).Performance: A strategy for professional development in early childhood teacher preparation. Journal of Early Childhood Teach
- Erwin, E. J., Brotherson, M. J., Palmer, S., Cook, C., Weigel, C. & Summers, J. A. (2009). How to promote self-determination for young children with disabilities: Evidenced-based strategies for practitioners and families. Young Exceptional Children. 12(2)
- Brotherson, M. J., Cook, C., Erwin, E., & Weigel, C. (2008). Understanding self-determination and families of young children with disabilities in home environments. Journal of Early Intervention, 31,22-43.
- Erwin, E. J. & Morton, N. (2008). Exposure to media violence and young children with and without disabilities: Powerful opportunities for family- professional partnerships. Early Childhood Education Journal, 36, 105-112.
- Erwin, E. J. & Brown, F. (2003). From theory to practice: A conceptual framework for understanding self-determination in early childhood environments. Infants and Young Children: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Special Care Practices, 16, 77-87.
- Soodak, L, C., Erwin, E. J., Winton, P., Brotherson, M. J., Turnbull, A. P., Hanson, M. J., & Brault, L. J. (2002). Implementing inclusive early childhood education. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 22, 91-102.
Bali Immersion: In-Depth Study Group: Deepening a Reflective Practice within the Ancient and Magical Lands of Bali
Travel to Bali for this 10-day extraordinary small group retreat re-scheduled for 2023.
Facilitator: Dr. Elizabeth Joy Erwin
Erwin, E. J. (2020). The Power of Presence: A Guide to Mindfulness Practices in Early Childhood. Lewisville, NC: Gryphon House, Inc.
Latest book "The Power of Presence" on partnering with children to promote justice in the world and peace within.
Available from local or favorite book sellers, Amazon, or Gryphon House (leading and award winning publisher in early childhood)